T5 PAR Readings with PIC's

zigginit

ok its been a long time coming but i got my new tank up and running with my T5 lights over it. im running 6 36" t5 bulbs over a 36x20x20 tank. the lights are mounted into a custom canopy i made with a roll out light rack. 2 bulbs are running on a workhorse 5 ballast and the 4 other bulbs are running on a VHO ICECAP 660 ballast. these babies are super bright!!!!

FRONT
ATI Purple + (workhorse 5 ballast)
ATI Aqua Blue Special (12k) (VHO ICECAP 660 ballast)
ATI Blue + (VHO ICECAP 660 ballast)
UVL 75/25 (14k) (VHO ICECAP 660 ballast)
ATI Blue + (VHO ICECAP 660 ballast)
UVL Super Actinic (420nm) (workhorse 5 ballast)
BACK

so here is some Par Readings i took from the front center of my tank. this test was to see how the par changed with depth.
Note: that the readings are from the water level not from the bulbs. the bulbs sit about 5" above the water line.

All bulbs on:
Depth under water = PAR
2"=590 PAR
5"=570 PAR
9"=470 PAR
12"=420 PAR
15"=360 PAR

i always wanted to know how much PAR the ATI Purple+ put out so i took some reading with only the ATI Purple+:
Depth under water = PAR
5"=300 PAR
10"=165 PAR
15"=110 PAR
20"=75 PAR

Ok time for the MONEY SHOT. this chart shows the par reading at random points though out my tank. these readings are taken at random points and may be a little off from the depth test due to the angle of the prob when taking the readings. with the prob being on a long pipe it had to be slid under the canopy at an angle to reach the rocks in the back of the tank. a small % of the reading was lost due to the angles. but for the most part its pretty close to strait up and down to give the right reading.

and here are some shots so you can see the readings for yourself.

the below reading was effected by the angle. we got a higher reading in that spot after the pic was taken.

zigginit

i like the roll out light rack:)

thanks, it just came to me when i was i using my computer and rolled out the keyboard. i was like i bet this would make the lights easy to change. the wiring harness has a plug on the back of the rack so i can unplug it and take the rack out all the way without messing with wires, or i could remove the whole canopy without messing with wires. its so custom and i love it.

Latest posts