New Visio tank questions.

Hey all
I'm getting a quote for a new 70 x 24 x 25 by Visio with starfire front panel. All the other sides are regular glass. I have some questions that hopefully someone can answer.

1) for a 26 inch depth tank it's 400.00 more because they have to use tempered glass for the bottom pane for anything over 24.5 inches
From what I understand tempered bottom panels arent that much more but does adding 2 inches of non starfire side glass add that much more cost?
2) my current tank is eurobraced. My new tank will be standard trim but with 2 glass braces that run front to back. Will the braces diffuse my LEDs enough to affect sps coral health? Anyone have a similar set up with an sps dominated tank that can give their 2 cents?
3) does is there a huge difference between starfire and .5 regular glass? I heard .75 inch regular glass is when you start seeing the difference.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question #2, since I have a very similar tank, yes it will diffuse the light from an LED. Whether it will affect coral growth, I don't know. My two braces had plastic covering the edges that really showed up with my Kessils. I removed the plastic and it was better,not an easy job since they are glued to the glass. I would suggest also using T5's as a complement to whatever LED's you use.

3. Yes there is a noticeable difference. I don't think there is any thickness where it starts I think even with a 1/4" piece of glass side by side you will notice increased clarity with Starfire.

Question #2, since I have a very similar tank, yes it will diffuse the light from an LED. Whether it will affect coral growth, I don't know. My two braces had plastic covering the edges that really showed up with my Kessils. I removed the plastic and it was better,not an easy job since they are glued to the glass. I would suggest also using T5's as a complement to whatever LED's you use.
Ok thanks. Adding T5s is one route I am considering

3. Yes there is a noticeable difference. I don't think there is any thickness where it starts I think even with a 1/4" piece of glass side by side you will notice increased clarity with Starfire.
Ok good to know. I'll stick with starfire.

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
The tank will be one of the lower cost in this hobby. So do it the way you want , or else regret later.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just throwing this out there because I just got a 60 cube in January from the same manufacturer, Advance Aqua Tanks. Call Oceans Tropical Fish in Mission Viejo for a quote. I called and got a couple quotes. The store 10 miles from him wanted more than double! I got a really good deal through David/Oceans. The number is 949-305-7800. I know you're a bit away, but it's worth a call t get a legit quote without a big mark up. His mark up was quite minimal actually from what I was told.

You can take his quote to other shops to make sure you're getting a good price. Just don't mention you're so far lol.

Latest posts