Just noticed some STN on a few different pieces. Could use some advice.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I noticed my JTC started to recesses towards the base last week and figured it was due to raising nitrates a little to quick. Tonight i was looking threw my viewer and can now count 5 other pieces that are starting the same symptoms. Recession from the base up.

Alk 7.7
Cal 450
Mag 1400
Phosphates not detectable
Nitrates I believe are 10, could be slightly higher. I can start to see tint top down with my salifert kit. From the side it reads solid 10.

I did remove my rock to catch fish. The corals were out of the water for 10-15 minutes. I did a pretty go job of not stirring up sand but maybe something spiked I'm not sure.

I've checked my mp40 and gyre wetsides. I havent checked the return but i dont see any signs of rust so far. Same for the mixing station. I just ordered a triton kit but that'll probably take too long.

What should my first step be here? Is my alk too low for my nitrate level? I'm thinking of trying to super glue around the death ring but maybe i need to cut them from the base or frag some pieces. I'm worried if i do water changes to bring the nitrates down thats going to add more stress to the system.

Thanks for any input.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Thanks Jose. I think I'll be doing 10% water changes over the next few days and see if I get any results. Just calibrated my refractometer and its spot on, tanks at 1.026

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
If it's bacteria I lower my temp to 75

djrice69

Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
They all rtn around same time maybe a week apart. Polyp bail out could also sting nearby surrounding corals once rtn

Did you test your PO4 with Hanna ULR? Was it always zero or just recently?
I can offer you space in my frag tank in case you are worried about loosing nice SPS. Can hold you frag of each colony if you want.

djrice69

Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
Slows down metabolism for both the Medusa or polyp and bacteria population will slow down. It won't stop it if it's going but slow down to give you time to clip off the tip at least for bigger colonies. Frags on the other hand will just loose it all.
Can you elaborate why, im curious to see what this helps/does?

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
Slows down metabolism for both the Medusa or polyp and bacteria population will slow down. It won't stop it if it's going but slow down to give you time to clip off the tip at least for bigger colonies. Frags on the other hand will just loose it all.
That was what i was thinking. I would think if one is following this route, running a UV and if possible dipping the coral in a loguls solution would also help. It just becomes a rock and a hard place of doing too mcuh.

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
Not necessarily the nitrates alone. It could be a combination of change from your recently disturbed the scape to catch fishes. Especially your tank is new, small disturbance can make your acros unhappy.
I would do water change, and dose bacteria in a bottle, and NOTHING else. Dramatically reactions may cause more harm than good.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going forward with small daily water changes and I'll super glue what i can. I know pulling the fish shocked the tank. I used to clean the glass daily of film algae now its no longer growing. I've got UV running on the system too. At this point I'm thinking air exposure unless the triton test tells me something else.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going forward with small daily water changes and I'll super glue what i can. I know pulling the fish shocked the tank. I used to clean the glass daily of film algae now its no longer growing. I've got UV running on the system too. At this point I'm thinking air exposure unless the triton test tells me something else.
any follow up?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Triton test shows up tomorrow. The affected coral are still STN on me. I need to run out and grab some superglue gel. My bone cutters are all rusted out so I don't want dive in fragging with them.

I'll add a few cell pictures soon.

djrice69

Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
Dip ur bone cutter in iodine before cutting

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Not sure that these will help any. Kinda crappy cell pics

weird thing is polyps are out. I've seen some slime coming off the areas that are receding. I'll check for pests tonight with a dip but I haven't seen bite marks and I was under the impression polyps usually retract from pests.

Can't capture it with a camera but there are some weird black vein looking areas on some of the dead skeleton. Not sure if its just left over tissue.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Here is the best i can do for a picture of the black vein looking things. With the fish gone out of the system I have an insane amount of all different kinds of pods in the tank.
I did see some things i couldnt quite make out or tell if they were moving on their own or from flow. These black strings seemed to be moving though. Any input? wihs I had a better zoom lense.

Latest posts