Just a few of questions about Chloroquine Phosphate

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
1) How can you remove Chloroquine Phosphate from a QT system? With GAC, huge w/c, skimmer?
2) Does a skimmer affect the effectiveness of Chloroquine Phosphate?
3) Does Live Rock and Live Sand affect the effectiveness of Chloroquine Phosphate?
4) Over time, does the effectiveness of Chloroquine Phosphate decrease? For example, if my QT tank is fishless for 2 months and I kept the system running, if I'm ready to QT another fish, do I have dose the recommended amount Chloroquine Phosphate?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I've used it a few times with success and failure. Do not treat Wrasses or Hippo tangs. Humblefish on the other site has a good thread on which fish did not adapt well to it. Also make sure to keep pristine water quality and don't use any water conditioners with it. Answers are posted below under your questions

1) How can you remove Chloroquine Phosphate from a QT system? With GAC, huge w/c, skimmer?
GAC and huge water change. Unfortunately there is no way (without expensive lab testing) to test for CP dilution in the water. For a QT I prefer 100% water change in between QT cycles with new dosage of CP
2) Does a skimmer affect the effectiveness of Chloroquine Phosphate?
Supposedly yes so better not to skim
3) Does Live Rock and Live Sand affect the effectiveness of Chloroquine Phosphate?
Yes, LR and Live sand can absorb CP.
4) Over time, does the effectiveness of Chloroquine Phosphate decrease? For example, if my QT tank is fishless for 2 months and I kept the system running, if I'm ready to QT another fish, do I have dose the recommended amount Chloroquine Phosphate?
CP does deplete its strength over time. Also you need to use minimal light and keep any light source with UV away from it as it will break down the effectiveness of CP including direct sunlight.

TIA

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I've used it a few times with success and failure. Do not treat Wrasses or Hippo tangs. Humblefish on the other site has a good thread on which fish did not adapt well to it. Also make sure to keep pristine water quality and don't use any water conditioners with it. Answers are posted below under your questions
Thanks Shawn. Where did you get your CP from?

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
One was from New Life Spectrum's ick shield which uses CP as their active ingredient and the other from ebay that claims is 99.5% CP. However, the other guys on the other forums say you should get the vet prescribed version for proper dosage. Unfortunately I don't have friends that are vets. lol
Thanks Shawn. Where did you get your CP from?