UV in a reef tank

racer2438

I'm starting a 60g shallow reef setup, and was wondering if a 9w UV would be a option to add. In process of building stand and wanted to make a spot for it in the equipment section of the stand.....

Setup :
60g Advanced Acylics all in one
34" Trigger sump
Quiet 1 #4000
250w Finnex.
BMagnus. skimmer
4 ch doser

ATI 36" T5 6 bulb dimmable w/controller

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I have used them on my reef tanks and never really noticed much of a difference

I'm almost certain that they need to be like three times bigger for saltwater as they do for freshwater.

A 40 watt UV is capable of a multi thousand gallon pond depending on flow rate for the pump to the UV. Not the pond itself.
So your 40 watt UV is actually quite large in comparison to what it could do for freshwater and much larger fish and much larger waste problem.

You are using a 40 watt uv sterilizer on a 200 gallon tank.

A 40 watt uv sterilizer is the recommended size for a few thousand gallon pond and the bio load in it.

UV lights are more effective on freshwater than salt. Don't know the science. Just read all the information out there by those that do. The UV light I bought and haven't used is 15 watts. Rated for 500 gallons freshwater and 75 gallons if saltwater. My tank is 50 gallons so I bought something accordingly. But it does me no good if I don't implement it. Haven't had a reason to. Impulse buy.

I have a salt (Reef) I was losing fish so I had my water ATI tested they suggested it. And since no fish loss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a beautiful thing. I'm not arguing against them. Heck! I own one. Don't use it, BNIB for almost a year. Just stating they need to be pretty high wattage compared to the fresh water hobbyists tank size.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I think UV in a reef tank is don't use it unless you find a need to use one. 9 watts on a 60 plus gallon system won't be effective against parasites/diseases, but can help control bacterial blooms and water cloudiness. However, bacterial blooms and cloudy water can still be achieved with good care alone.

Small undersized units are a waste and do very little for Saltwater, this is why most say UV does nothing for a reef tank. For a Good Read look up Emperor Aquatics, just bought out by Pentair. Sold by BRS and they rate there units for Saltwater pathogens. Flow and Contact time is very important so you will need to plumb unit with a bypass to control flow through reactor. If water goes through too fast it will help with algae, but do nothing for fish. UV when implemented correctly is very beneficial in a reef tank. Why do you think commercial aquariums use them? I have an 80 Watt Emperor Aquatics UV running at 1700 liters per hour on my 600 24/7.