black sand

robert_ellis

Premium Member
Supporter
Two questions.

First what's the nicest and most black sand.

Second, does anyone know where they have black sand?

Thank you.
I use black sand. Caribsea Hawaiian black sand. It's a fairly large grain so it doesn't blow around. Not solid black but has tan and white specks in it. I love it and everyone who has Seen my tank loves it. Most fish stores have it or can get it.

[MENTION=6561]robert_ellis[/MENTION] tank is very nice... i've seen it myself... the sand makes the corals POP...

Some of the cheaper black sand ends up sticking to the mag floats and stuff... don't go cheap with it. Get the good stuff

We have the Tahitian black moon sand. I used it in some of the displays it does like to stick to magnets. Gotta be careful

3m color quartz is also really good... but, it will scratch your glass... i used it on an old cichlid tank i had... don't have pictures of it, it was like 10 years ago... it was heavier than any other sand available... the grain is heavy, and stays put... also, the poop doesn't go to the bottom... might be bad for microfauna...

here's a picture of a planted tank with the stuff...

oh shnap, i found my old cichlid tank.... LOL... two different types of gray color quartz sand in this tank...

Surge

Premium Member
Supporter
+1 for CS black Hawaiian... I went two tone with that and Araganite ...

+1 for Caribsea Black Hawaiian. I have it in my tank and love the look. Seven Seas in San Pedro has a good stock although that's a little far for you....