Smite's 100 gallon

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
100g SC Aquariums 48x24x20

AA 36x16x16 sump

Stand is 48x24x42

My polyurethane coat came out wavy on the doors. So I'm re-doing that but here's what I got so far. I'm happy, wife is a little PO'd. "Looked so much smaller in the garage" next to the 180 :no:

I'm going to go t5 on this tank. 8x54w and most likely ATI, though I do love the look of the new Geisemann fixtures. The $300 difference is fairly substantial.

Plumbing has got me all screwed up. My UV is much larger than I had in my head, but I'm sure I'll figure something out. To the right of the sump will be my calcium reactor system. I plan to build a shelf with doors, so I can mount my apex and controls on the front, hiding all the wires and ugliness behind.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Question to t5 guys, how high above the water line would you place an 8 bulb ati?

I dont think you need an 8 bulb, especially if your tank is 20 deep. Up to you though. Youll definitely be lighting your overflow. Ive got my 6 bulb about 6" above the water.

Love that stand color. Very nice.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I dont think you need an 8 bulb, especially if your tank is 20 deep. Up to you though. Youll definitely be lighting your overflow. Ive got my 6 bulb about 6" above the water.

Love that stand color. Very nice.
I'll most likely be going with a 6 bulb fixture. If you get those Reefbrites to fit your Matrixx II, I'll be ordering one of those. I like the way the stand came out. Went a little thick with the poly on the doors so I gotta sand them down and try again. Hopefully it still matches.
Wow this looks awesome!!! I'll be following. Can't wait for plumbing etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks bud. I've started the plumbing and got what I want to do in my head now. I had a change of plans and ended up short 1 gate valve.

I've never had one of these AA sumps with the silencer top. That black rectangle on the back left corner is fixed/glued down and needs to be drilled for my returns. Question: Do people use bulkheads or just plumb straight through these things?

I hope to get the shelves on the left built this weekend, my UV mounted and plumbed, and build the shelf/cabinet for my apex and controls. I hope to make it clean, so you only see the Mp40qd, Gyre and Apex display with everything else hidden behind.

My Xmas present showed up today. AA ato reservoir. 4x24x24. I could fit it in the stand, but it looks real nice next to the tank, so I'm going to leave it there. Easier to fill too.

Some pictures of the plumbing so far. Return to Tank goes - ATS>GEO618>BRS Carbon Reactor>Tank. Return is going to be a Herbie with my UV fed off the main return < This is going to take some planning, UV is larger and more awkward than expected but I think I have a plan.

I have enough T-slot to make a second bracket the same as what's centered on the tank now. Now that im set on T5, I think i'll need the second arm.

Wow so many finger prints with flash lol

[MENTION=7067]Smite[/MENTION] I seen the majority use bulkhead and they look really slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice tank matt!! Love those dimensions!!!
I have a 6 bulb above my 48*24*24 and its using the legs that came with the fixture so the light is like 4-6 inches above the tank

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

newe70

2020 Philanthropist
Looking good Matt...what are you planning to light up that aquarium with? Keep the pictures coming, bud.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Very clean build. Looks great.
Thanks! Trying my best to plan it out and keep it that way this time.

Looking good Matt...what are you planning to light up that aquarium with? Keep the pictures coming, bud.
I was going to go with t5 but have back tracked. I spent to much $$ on the G3 pros not to give them a longer chance. I was worried about shadowing and was a main reason I was going to go with t5. I ended up just ordering a 3rd radion.

Feels like I'm finally getting close.
Dropped the dedicated circuit down the wall.
Built my outlet cabinet & supply shelf
2 of the 3 lights and ballasts mounted
UV installed, waiting on one ball valve then its good to go. I ended up plumbing the return back to the sump, so I can measure my flow accurately. I'll be shooting for level 1 sterilization. Maybe it'll help me keep that dino bloom I get ever so often?
Got my drains plumbed to the sump. Something I was worried about. The 3 1" bulkheads had to actually touch edges to fit, but I managed to get it right lol
Yiikes!

After my T off, unions and ball valves the main drain came out 1/2" too long. Bugs me all to hell that the conduit isn't level, really stands out with the level lip of the sump right there too. Oh well, shoulda heated the pipe up and bent a kick. It was just too late, glued it, stepped back and C**p!

Calcium reactor is going to the right of the sump. Third Ecotech ballast is going above the Vecton UV.

I still need to:
Pick and buy a ATO system
Rinse my dry special grade sand and get it in the tank
Decide to use my existing rock work, or the new one I've been playing with. I'm leaning towards my existing base I built off for my 180
Come up with a face plate to mount my controllers to.
Shim the tank level. This floor is insanely sloped away from the wall.

EDIT:

Those wires will be tucked into the T-slot. One thing I really like about using that for a light rack. The wires fit right in, and they sell covers that pop in over that. Should look pretty clean. Once I get the 3rd up, I'll route all my wiring.

I also received my top net kit from BRS today. Hopefully I'll get to building that this weekend.

Last edited:

newe70

2020 Philanthropist
Three Radion Pros...wow...your corals will be loving you without a doubt. Your plumbing works looking bitchin nice, bud.

Latest posts