nitro RC. total newb

Sound like the battery for the wand is old. You may need to replace it.
You can take the glowplug out and connect the wire and ground the plug on the motor to see if it glows like a cigarette.
So basic engine rules if won't start, two main reasons: no fuel or no "spark"...

First thing to check is the glow plug. Did it come with a wrench to remove it?

Don't worry about the fuel brand or %.

I agree with Tommy. Sounds like the igniter needs to be charged. Did the igniter come with a charger?

If the glow plug doesn't immediately turn orange/red, then charge the igniter and try again. If it still doesn't glow, then yeah get a new one. Get a few actually they go bad after a while.

The tuning instructions from Traxxas are pretty right on and it sounds like you found good ones on the net. (YouTube would also be good.) It's not that tricky but avoid the "turning a bunch of knobs" approach. As you've found out, that's bad news.

I used to own a hobby shop and still have RcChopShop.com. I sold off all my stuff, except a couple things like an old scorpion and E-maxx and a Savage .21. Waiting for my kids to get old enough before I pull them out again. (Spending enough on this hobby at the moment anyway!)

Last edited:
So basic engine rules if won't start, two main reasons: no fuel or no "spark"...

First thing to check is the glow plug. Did it come with a wrench to remove it?

Don't worry about the fuel brand or %.

I agree with Tommy. Sounds like the igniter needs to be charged. Did the igniter come with a charger?

If the glow plug doesn't immediately turn orange/red, then charge the igniter and try again. If it still doesn't glow, then yeah get a new one. Get a few actually they go bad after a while.

The tuning instructions from Traxxas are pretty right on and it sounds like you found good ones on the net. (YouTube would also be good.) It's not that tricky but avoid the "turning a bunch of knobs" approach. As you've found out, that's bad news.

I used to own a hobby shop and still have RcChopShop.com. I sold off all my stuff, except a couple things like an old scorpion and E-maxx and a Savage .21. Waiting for my kids to get old enough before I pull them out again. (Spending enough on this hobby at the moment anyway!)
i will test the glow when I get home. either way I probably want a bag laying around. I didn't look for a wrench since there's a huge tote og parts but j just used a mechanic deep socket to get it out. the glow plug area was full of dust. I hope I didn't get any in the head. I also sprayed wd40 in there like a few posts said. and my wand did have a charger and I've been charging it before every time I try and start it to make sure it has enough juice. and if you want to give up one of those RCS I have a 36x36x24 AGE tank I want to get rid of. lol. tank only and I paid 350

ok frustration has set in. luckily my stuff came in today. my glow plug was out. I put the new glow on and it fired up but died after just a second or two. then it never stayed in. I had removed the cooling head previously to clean it. I dont recall seeing a washer or anything. but it's on tight but while trying to start it I see a small amount of gas splatter out where the cooling head meets the engine(I think engine). my wand now lights up saying flow so I assume that means the glow is good. but now not firing.

ok frustration has set in. luckily my stuff came in today. my glow plug was out. I put the new glow on and it fired up but died after just a second or two. then it never stayed in. I had removed the cooling head previously to clean it. I dont recall seeing a washer or anything. but it's on tight but while trying to start it I see a small amount of gas splatter out where the cooling head meets the engine(I think engine). my wand now lights up saying flow so I assume that means the glow is good. but now not firing.
Do you have some pictures of what you had done?

I'll have to snap it later. but I put back whatever I removed for cleaning. only thing is splattering from where the head meets the engine or carb. why does thebfix it reads say to loosen the glow plug? how is loosening the glow suppose to help. when it fired yesterday I had it slightly loose and gas was putting out of there. more fine then splattering.

Last edited:
I removed the cooling head from I believe the engine.head is blue and the aluminum is where it meets. I removed it again today to make sure its clean and it still seems to have a very ligt splatter.

I'm not sure how often I am suppose to charge this but it says servo whatever that is. I charged it once when I got it. But the light always turned on so I never thought I needed to charge again until it was dead

I am beyond frustrated. Im not sure if i should just take it to a professional so I Dont f%-+ more **** up. But I barely spun this screw to try and adjust the carb and it came off. I couldn't put it back on. It had an o-ring. Even without the o-ring I couldn't get it back on. The threading was stripped or something. I also couldn't get the flow plug to glow again. Not sure why. But it did just once yesterday before it fired for the few seconds. I out in a new one and it still didn't glow.

Any idea how much hobby shops normally charge to service and fix sh!t?

I removed the cooling head from I believe the engine.head is blue and the aluminum is where it meets. I removed it again today to make sure its clean and it still seems to have a very ligt splatter.

I'm not sure how often I am suppose to charge this but it says servo whatever that is. I charged it once when I got it. But the light always turned on so I never thought I needed to charge again until it was dead

I am beyond frustrated. Im not sure if i should just take it to a professional so I Dont f%-+ more **** up. But I barely spun this screw to try and adjust the carb and it came off. I couldn't put it back on. It had an o-ring. Even without the o-ring I couldn't get it back on. The threading was stripped or something. I also couldn't get the flow plug to glow again. Not sure why. But it did just once yesterday before it fired for the few seconds. I out in a new one and it still didn't glow.

Any idea how much hobby shops normally charge to service and fix sh!t?
Dang! The RC is filthy. The guy you brought it from didn't clean the rc before he sold it to you?

From what i remember there should be any gasket from the engine n cooling fins. Check to see if your piston rod is damaged or not.

The servo is not the problem. The servo is there to communicate with your controller. It got nothing to do with the engine not firing up.

I believe it's around $40/hr for repair service. I would just take it in to have it check out to see what wrong with it and if it's worth fixing.

Also if you cover the exhaust opening with you finger n push on on the ez start wand, sometime the engine will fire up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang! The RC is filthy. The guy you brought it from didn't clean the rc before he sold it to you?

From what i remember there should be any gasket from the engine n cooling fins. Check to see if your piston rod is damaged or not.

The servo is not the problem. The servo is there to communicate with your controller. It got nothing to do with the engine not firing up.

I believe it's around $40/hr for repair service. I would just take it in to have it check out to see what wrong with it and if it's worth fixing.
it was dirtier then that. lol. the piston was pumping when I took the head off. I'll just take it in to a shop soon. there's one near Knott's Berry farm I think. I can't imagine a ton of stuff being wrong with it since it was just a bad glow. but I wouldn't be surprised after I messed with all the sh!t that it won't be worth fixing. I assume that thing I can't put back on is going to have to be replaced. the carb is 30 on eBay.

Take it to a pro...and quit turning screws when you have no idea what they do. When I had gas R/C cars, they were always a pain...requiring constant tuning. I'm over it. Just picked up a brushless Traxxas Slash 4x4 ultimate with lipo. So easy, plug in the battery and run for like an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
dang double post again. Here I come [MENTION=2928]Tangwich[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Latest posts