Alkalinity and Calcium Depletion Issue

Recently my alk and Calcium seems to be depleting at a much higher rate. I did a huge water changed then tested and both alk and calcium were still low. Not sure what is going on? Any advice would be appreciated. Could it just be my corals have got alot bigger and demanding more and I need to adjust my doser?

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
Adjust your doser. What are your levels now? Make sure you measure same time each day

dontavo27

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
My Tank Build
What kind of salt mix did you use? Cal and Alk May have gone down due to the Huge water change.
Dose everything back up slowly over the next few days.

Mag was fine 1500+ it was just alkalinity and calcium my system seems to be gobbling it up all of a sudden. My best guess is corals have been growing so there is just a higher consumption rate. How do you guys determine dosing/consumption rates?

what salt are you using? Tropic marine pro usually has a lower Alk and i know i need to supplemental dose when i do a WC. What were you parameters and what are they now?

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Just got to keep testing. If your levels are pretty consistent to each other then frequently testing alk should give you an indicator and periodically testing the other 2 especially if you notice changes. A lot of things in the tank will consume alk cal and mag including macro algaes in refugiums. So if the tank is thriving then for sure you can see more consumption. Even ph changes to nitrate levels.

Mag was fine 1500+ it was just alkalinity and calcium my system seems to be gobbling it up all of a sudden. My best guess is corals have been growing so there is just a higher consumption rate. How do you guys determine dosing/consumption rates?