Converting a 10g AIO to a drilled tank

erichk

Hey everyone, I have been lurking on here for awhile but this is my first post so hopefully it is in the right section. I have been in this hobby for a few years now and currently have a few tanks.

I have a pair of clowns in my largest tank with an eel that is becoming more aggressive so I need to get them out. I have an empty 10 gallon acrylic tank that I would like to link into the same tank they are already in. My plan was to drill a 1 inch hole in the back for the drain and then remove part of the secondary wall and the 2 other chambers so the return is coming directly into the tank and not into the chambers. Does anyone have any experience removing part of the acrylic and what the best way to do it would be? I hope this makes sense and Im going to try and add pictures to show what I am talking about.

Also, the reason I need to link the systems is because I do not have air conditioning in my house and the last nano I had would get too hot. I already have a chiller and do not want to buy another one.
2CF44705-556D-4C82-88EA-3C51EDFD45FD.jpg 465B8105-11D7-439F-9686-863BA9246049.jpg A8D6D066-D564-4D85-A9C4-DE869F6796E1.jpg

I am also thinking the same with a Nuvo 10G AIO system. Lol couldnt we just remove the back wall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I think it will be a PITA to remove any of the chamber walls and you'll definitely risk cracking something you don't want to. I'd do what [MENTION=6581]Goober[/MENTION] mentioned. Also, no need for anything elaborate. 10 gallon doesn't need much flow rate compared to a larger tank.

erichk

Thanks for the suggestions, the reason I mentioned going through the back instead of the bottom is based on the stand I have everything going on. The stand is a small entertainment consol that has all of our tv equipment below it so I have to run all the plumbing out the back side of the tank as opposed to the bottom. A friend suggested a dremel to cut the last chamber, I am going to give it a shot tomorrow. Im not super concerned about looks and more worried about function because I figured I could always find a way to hide it with different corals.

Latest posts