Fuge and hair algae?

I noticed a touch of hair algae growing in my fuge. I have none in my display or anywhere else. Do yall let hair algae grow in your fuge in hopes that it will stay there and keep it out of the display? I know this is how scrubbers work not sure if this applies to refugiams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took in some chaeto with hair algae and it drove me crazy thinking that it might make it's way into the display. I threw it out and got a clean batch. I didn't want to risk it.

Ok, now it's starting to be an obsession

That's definitely a slippery slope. To be totally safe, you should probably remove it. If you were ever to see some GHA pop up in your display you would probably blame the sump GHA and be mad that you didn't remove it!

I noticed a touch of hair algae growing in my fuge. I have none in my display or anywhere else. Do yall let hair algae grow in your fuge in hopes that it will stay there and keep it out of the display? I know this is how scrubbers work not sure if this applies to refugiams.
Have the same thing going on and thinking the exact same. So I put a Nerite snail in there a day or so ago to see what happens over maybe a week. Most likely the snail will climb out and dry up. Many people run scrubbers and I have too without issue to the display, so I'm not too concerned about it. I do have filter media between fuge and return.
I also thought about a Lawnmower blenny. The one in my display is always eating on the back wall. But I've also noticed my display seems cleaner than ever and thought about using the algae to seed a scrubber. Or it coulb be dosing Dr. Tims Waste Away for the last few weeks. This hobby(aquariums) has a lot of options on maintaining a good habitat that we have the ability to try many ways of doing so.

My refugium has been growing GHA in my tank for 2+ years. It never made it into my DT. I periodically remove 95% of the GHA every month and no problems for me.

Id just scrub it out and replace with Macroalgae like Chaeto instead. A reactor even if possible.

Have the same thing going on and thinking the exact same. So I put a Nerite snail in there a day or so ago to see what happens over maybe a week. Most likely the snail will climb out and dry up. Many people run scrubbers and I have too without issue to the display, so I'm not too concerned about it. I do have filter media between fuge and return.
I also thought about a Lawnmower blenny. The one in my display is always eating on the back wall. But I've also noticed my display seems cleaner than ever and thought about using the algae to seed a scrubber. Or it coulb be dosing Dr. Tims Waste Away for the last few weeks. This hobby(aquariums) has a lot of options on maintaining a good habitat that we have the ability to try many ways of doing so.
Well. Looks like my Nerite is doing good in there. More than he can tackle but working. May add a Lawnmower Benny.

Latest posts