120 + 40 gallon seahorse build

I got a new species of seahorses, H. Barbouri. They are extra special and delicate. So for them, I got a 120 gallon 48 x 24 x24 + 40 gallon sump + all the usuals, Skimmer, UV, return. I'm using 3/4" PVC for return and 1.5" drain.

The tricky part to this is that I need to get more o2 in the water. More surface tension, circulation and macros!

My inspiration was Into the Woods. (Gay I know) well...

Some early pictures.

This is Zen his mate is Zara

Zara

Wet! Still adding some LR from their QT tank.

I think seahorses are cool.

Nice man! That's going to be a sweet *** tank. How much more work are sea horses? I've read they need to eat multiple times a day, true? That's what has held me back from getting them. I leave the house at 430am and get back at 7pm from work, so they would be eating once

Nice man! That's going to be a sweet *** tank. How much more work are sea horses? I've read they need to eat multiple times a day, true? That's what has held me back from getting them. I leave the house at 430am and get back at 7pm from work, so they would be eating once
Yes multiple feedings is recommended. IMO if you were to do just do two, it's important to feed them in the mornings. It is the most important meal for them. I recommend PE mysis-- don't just drop the cube in, and if you have to do that put it in one of these:

And throw away the ones that they don't eat within 15-30 minutes. The uneaten mysis can contribute to degration of water quality, and worse if they eat an old piece that is collecting bacteria, they easily could get an infection.

Also, feed them right when you get home. Not before bed.

Keep in mind really, captive bred seahorses are trained on frozen mysis. While wild caughts can take to Frozen but you take a huge chance... Because at the store they may frozen brine or mysis, but at any point they can stop eating frozen and trust me when I tell you, feeding live suuuuuuuuuuuucks ask [MENTION=6134]Jhuneke[/MENTION].

Anyhow, yes you can feed them twice a day and still have them.

+1 on the live food being a pita! I won't buy any that aren't greedily eating mysis.. And like TJ said .. Wild caught have a habit of suddenly refusing frozen ( for no reason) and will starve themselves completely if not offered live :/ annoying!

Sent from my blinged out girly iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the live food being a pita! I won't buy any that aren't greedily eating mysis.. And like TJ said .. Wild caught have a habit of suddenly refusing frozen ( for no reason) and will starve themselves completely if not offered live :/ annoying!

Sent from my blinged out girly iPhone using Tapatalk
But there are ones like yours!!! Lucky.