Acrylic Sump Design Idea

Hi folks. I'd like to try my hand at building a sump for a 40 breeder. It'll be on a 36 x 24 inch stand. I've been mulling over ideas and think I've come up with something that I like. I'd love to have the opinions of the fine people here on the design before I get started. Thanks.

I like to put the fuge before the return pump. That way you have water through the fuge more. Its simpler that way imo. Just make sure the macro algae does not go over to the return pump too much :)

Was thinking the same thing... I actually have my fuge (if you could call it that) 1st then skimmer, then return.. Just my 2..

It was my initial idea to have the fuge in the middle. Then I thought I'd run it on the end off of a manifold so that I can dial in the flow.

Sounds like two votes for an in line fuge though. Thanks for the input.

it's good.... just wouldn't make the fuge return so high up into the return chamber... it will cause a lot of bubbles and splashing... you don't want that... make it the same height as the drop from the skimmer area to the return area...

another thing... don't make the baffles so tall... a sump is supposed to be designed to hold all of the water during a power outage.. so give it some gallons so it can do that....

it's good.... just wouldn't make the fuge return so high up into the return chamber... it will cause a lot of bubbles and splashing... you don't want that... make it the same height as the drop from the skimmer area to the return area...

another thing... don't make the baffles so tall... a sump is supposed to be designed to hold all of the water during a power outage.. so give it some gallons so it can do that....
Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought about the fuge height causing bubbles. Think it would be better to lower the height or add a bubble trap?

That's really the only tall baffle. The one separating the return and skimmer is raised off the bottom. And the other one would be set at the skimmer operating height. The slot in the top is there in case the socks clog. Close to 50% of the skimmer and return areas would be empty during normal operation.

the water coming from the fuge to the return section should have a nother baffle to stop bubbles and you can even add some build in teeth to keep macro out of the return pump.

Better, but make sure you have enough space to get the return pump in the area of the return, it looks tight.

I'l keep the fuge after the skimmer or separate, otherwise the skimmer will pull out all the wonderful things like copepods that you can grow in the fuge.

I'm not sure I can read your plumbing right, but make sure you have two drains, in case one floods.

Better, but make sure you have enough space to get the return pump in the area of the return, it looks tight.

I'l keep the fuge after the skimmer or separate, otherwise the skimmer will pull out all the wonderful things like copepods that you can grow in the fuge.

I'm not sure I can read your plumbing right, but make sure you have two drains, in case one floods.
The plumbing is unfinished in this model. It's a BeanAnimal drain into the back of the skimmer section. Water will then flow to the return and be pumped through a manifold back to the display, fuge, as well as any future reactors, uv, etc. I might add later. The fuge will overflow back into the return section.

The return section is 6" x 18". Plenty of room to access the pump if I put it in there. I'm still thinking about running it external to reduce heat. Not sure there yet.

Latest posts