Water level question

Hey guys sorry for the double post today. I am trying to get my new tank in good shape. When the pump is running the water level sits at about a half inch below the edge of the tank (its rimless). With the return pump going and my mp40 the water seems to stay in the tank but it starts to creep up there. Is this normal/okay or something I should get fixed before I add in livestock? Thanks again for all the input today!

xmas_one

1/2" is pushing it. I set my overflow at 1/2" and I get creep when I run a fan or turn the mp40 up. I wish I would have went with 3/4" or more.

Yes its a crappy jebao chinese made one but it does have a controller. For some odd reason I turn it down and it doesnt lower the water level. Still gets to the same height before going into the overflow.

I have read you can use a metal round file to lower the slots in the overflow although its along process. Anyone ever heard success with that? If so I wont worry about it and can always adjust in the future.

Its a cadlights tank so its stupid metric plumbing that they supply with the tank since its made in china. its around 1.5" drain and 1" return. Something along those lines. I am calling tomorrow to get exact sizing in case I want to order some replacement stuff online.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
I have the same problem with my tank but it's one flaw I actually like.

My tank is eurobraced and the overflow teeth are too high. The water level in my tank comes right up touching the bottom of the eurobraced. A quarter inch higher and it would spill out of my tank. It's very risky but I actually like it because there is no water line when looking at my tank. It looks 100% filled. I got a smaller pump and it lowered my water line but the. I didn't like that the water line was visible so I changed it back.

I always make sure my reef teeth stay clean or the water will rise