please help new to reef

I am about 6 months into my reef tank and all of a sudden notice little bug like things running around the and and thru my live rock. I dont think I out anything in there but did just buy a lot of new coral. Please let me know thoughts going to try and take pics but not sure if I can get one w the bug..

thank you for taking the time to read.

Might not be that harmful. . . But you should dip your corals before putting anything into your tank.. if you haven't you should start now.. (coral RX or coral revive) should help kill a few pests when dipping your corals

pgr11

Supporter
Might just be pods which is a good thing but without pics its impossible to say what they are. One rule you should always follow when you get new coral is DIP DIP DIP!

Aha that you guys I really appreaciate it is almost impossible to take a pic right now at night. Morning ill throw some up. Hoping its nothing but they seem to be multiplying soooo fast. I learn th uhngs the hard way unfortunately. DIP DIP DIP. Lesson learned.

h2pvnus

They are amphipods and copepods. It mean you have a healthy system they start to populate, good food sources for picky fish

zigginit

Kinda looks like you need some better flow for your tank. I dont see any powerheads. If your going reef tank you need to have lots of water movement. Almost looks like you are running a old freshwater tank with salt. Do u have a sump? The best advise to a new reefer would be to invest in your basic equipment before fish and corals because if not your putting the cart before the horse. But this is how we all started and its not a bad thing. Your just beginning to open pandoras box lol.

zigginit

On second look is that a biocube? Also i think that is a nano protein skimmer in the corner right? If so im sorry to say but those don't work very good at all. If u have a nano tank with no sump your best bet will be frequent water changes which will benefit everything. Like 10-20 per week. Not hard to do if your tank is small. Mix up a 5 gallon jug and swap water.

Latest posts