Ich - Yellow tang in my reef!

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I recently transferred all my fish and coral over to my 66g up grade. I think I stressed my Yellow tank out and its got 2 small white spots, looks like ich (atleast what ive seen in freshwater, I've never dealt with MI). One spot is on the dorsal and one is on the tail fin. All other fish look fine and are eating and active.

I feed a variety of food soaked in zoecon and I add Kents trace to my tanks bi weekly. The tank is new, cycled with Dr. Tims one and only. Ammonia spiked then went back to zero after a few days. I probably should have waited long but my wife wasn't loving 2 tanks in the living room.

I have no spare tanks to QT unfortunately.

Do I need to QT the tang (or give it to someone that can) and treat? Or is my whole system screwed for the next 6 months, and all fish need to be QT and treated? Which I have no idea how I will without a cycled spare tank.

I've read some people state if you can distress the fish and load their diet with vitamins and immune system boosters that can overcome it. Is there any truth to this statement?

All fish were fine in my nano, including tang. the stress from the move is the only thing I can think of.

Thanks for any tips.

Matt

My yellow tang showed some signed of disease and I got a cleaner wrasse that is doing wonders for her... As soon as the cleaner wrasse hit the water, the yellow tang chased it around with fins and gills spread open for a cleaning... just my experience though...

U should b ok. Use some garlic guard in their food, that always helps. Those 2 pimples are nothing, sometimes they get them but they'll go away after a few days of garlic. Most of the time they go away on their own

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Right on. What a relief! I'll pick up some garlic guard and he'll I always love an excuse to pick up another fish.

I have 3 Tangs in my tank, amongst other fish, 2 of which are totally healthy except they haven't been able to get rid of the ich. I've done the garlic and selcon for a couple months now and it's still not going away. My Mandarin died from a bacterial infection so I started treating with Hikari Ich X. I've used it several times in the past and it's always worked amazing for me. Totally reef safe, I always cut the dose in half though which is what was recommended years ago. The only thing I've ever found that can't tolerate it is Mandarins. If you start using it now it'll wipe it out asap. Just make sure it's the saltwater reef safe one. It has like 3% formaldehyde active ingredient.

try this ich remedy that doesn't require QT. it's basically fortified food to help the fish fight through the disease.

it's worked well for me and many others, though it depends on your fish still having a reasonable appetite and eating.

yellow tangs are really hardy, and should recover just fine.

my blue tang gets ich every few weeks for a couple days, and then it goes away. I wouldn't street too much about it.

My yellow tang showed some signed of disease and I got a cleaner wrasse that is doing wonders for her... As soon as the cleaner wrasse hit the water, the yellow tang chased it around with fins and gills spread open for a cleaning... just my experience though...
Cleaner wrasse, no doubt... I always get one when my Tangs showed Ich. If you're lucky, you'll get one that will eat normal fish food and be part of the community.

try this ich remedy that doesn't require QT.

my blue tang gets ich every few weeks for a couple days, and then it goes away. I wouldn't street too much about it.
Isn't that just the life cycle of MI? The cyst stage is the only stage you can see. So the tang isn't cured, it just strong enough the fight the ich off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't that just the life cycle of MI? The cyst stage is the only stage you can see. So the tang isn't cured, it just strong enough the fight the ich off.

yup, but i'm of the opinion that you're never truly completely rid of ich, and that it'll just surface when the fish are stressed. the blue tang is just more succeptible to it.

the blue eats like a pig, and is otherwise very healthy, so i'm not worried.. :)

Right on. I had ich when I first set up my 180. I look out the fish, qt'd them for 9 weeks and left the display fallow. I qt all fish and coral now. Have never seen it come back. To each their own.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Right on. I had ich when I first set up my 180. I look out the fish, qt'd them for 9 weeks and left the display fallow. I qt all fish and coral now. Have never seen it come back. To each their own.

What did you treat your fish with while they were in QT?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Well the garlic seems to have done the trick, or at least the ich has left the cyst stage. Seems happy, full and healthy.

I do worry about his complete lack of interest in nori, purple and red seaweed. He checks it out but will not eat it. Devours formula 2 pellets and nibbles at mysis. I know seaweed should be a staple for this guy.
Have any of you had luck with "entice" type products?

Thanks guys.

I would try marine grazer by new era or just plain ol romaine Lettuce and keep trying sometime it take a little bit for them to start to eat so don't give keep up the good work pm with any other questions you may have, also using a amino acid or vit c or multi vit can be a good thing