Tank repair help (pane replacementl

I purchased a 6'x4'x2'T glass tank roughly 360 gallons. Unfortunately, during the moving process one of the 6' panes scalloped in a corner. Pictures below...

I'm too afraid to fill it as is. I also would prefer an external over flow as opposed to the center box as I am not going to be able to walk around the tank. Thus i am considering ordering a pane and replacing it. Is this possible?

I would love links to large tank construction/pane replacement.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If it was me I would not attempt to do it myself. Especially on a tank that size. Even if I had it professionally done I'd still leak test it outside for at least a month or two.

I replaced a pane before, however my tank didnt have any trim. That being said, it really isnt that difficult to do, but definitely take your time to make sure the sealant is thoroughly removed and the surfaces are clean before applying new sealant.

Keep in mind, any sealant along the interior will also need to be replaced. I took a week to remove every bit of sealant inside and on the edges where I applied a new pane.

Youll also need clamps to apply uniform pressure, and some pieces of wood to use as clamp mounting points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced a pane before, however my tank didnt have any trim. That being said, it really isnt that difficult to do, but definitely take your time to make sure the sealant is thoroughly removed and the surfaces are clean before applying new sealant.

Keep in mind, any sealant along the interior will also need to be replaced. I took a week to remove every bit of sealant inside and on the edges where I applied a new pane.

Youll also need clamps to apply uniform pressure, and some pieces of wood to use as clamp mounting points.

Prep is key. I work in the paint industry and understand that completely.

My tentative plan is to totally deconstruct the tank. Clean all edges thoroughly and then rebuild the tank...

Any chance you have a build thread or any helpful links? What kind of silicone did you use?

I would not reinstall the old trim. I will either buy new trim pieces or go trimless...

Prep is key. I work in the paint industry and understand that completely.

My tentative plan is to totally deconstruct the tank. Clean all edges thoroughly and then rebuild the tank...

Any chance you have a build thread or any helpful links? What kind of silicone did you use?

I would not reinstall the old trim. I will either buy new trim pieces or go trimless...

Sorry I dont have any meaningful photos of the replaced pane. I have two or three on my build thread.

I can say without a doubt that silicone is stupid strong. When I replaced my front pane, I did a leak test. Was it successful? In the sense that there were no leaks, then yes. However I failed to fully support the tank. There was a section that wasnt supported, so the back pane cracked from the stress. However the original silicone didnt leak even though the back glass cracked

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-silicone-adhesive-black-10oz.html

Heres the silicone I used. I dont know how much youd need, but I used the entire bottle to reseal the front pane and all interior corners and joints. Id buy 3 since you have a short window to use it, and once it sets, new silicone wont bond with it if you run out.

Some tools to buy:

Razor blades to cut the panels apart
Painters tool to help remove the bulk of sealant
Alcohol to clean and prep the surfaces
Painters tape to help give some clean lines.
Clamps and wood for clamps (buy them at Lowes. Theyre $16 for 36 long Irwin clamps. Then return them when youre done hahaha)

Goes without saying, but youll need a large area to allow to not only assemble the tank, but to leave it I disturbed for a week and allow for gases to air out. Some threads and directions say the sealant sets after 48 hours, but requires 7 days for the strongest bond. After a week you can leak test for as long as you desire.

Latest posts