Training a mandarin.

As the title states i have been training a mandarin goby for the last 3 weeks to eat frozen.

Now i have prepped for the fact he would not take to frozen, so i got 2 bags of posidens feast and dumped it into my tank and sump over a month ago. In my sump i have 4 pod condos going and alot of rubble rock and sand in there. Luckily though he took right to eating frozen and is a pig about it. I have him in a breeder basket and started off with the "put a little in there and then take out the leftovers 15 minutes later" method for the first week. Then i decided to try the pippet feeding. That took about a week for him to catch on too. But now he eats right out of it. I have even noticed he gets excited when he sees me and when i look down on him he will come up to the top and actually put part of his head out of the water and stares at me, so last night i decided to see if he would eat out of my fingers and he did. He even eats pellets.

My question now is when should i feel safe to release him into the tank? How long should i have him eating out of the pipette before i can trust it will come up to me in the tank where he isnt confined to a small space. I'm happy with how fat he has gotten since i got him (he was sucked in) so I'm not worried about his health. But i know if he dont come up to the pipette he wont be able to compete with the other fish for food since he is a lazy eater. I know i will have pods but i dont want want him to only eat those.

Any advice would be appreciated. Besides the "dont get a mandarin" advise.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Make sure you stay on top of the feedings and add supplements to the food. I had a frozen eating mandarin and i got lazy and eventually it starved like most mandarins.

I have been looking at some long 18" ones, probably order one tonight. I just dont k ow how long i should have him feeding from it from the basket before i let him loose where he has alot of running/hiding room. I do feel like we have bonded and we are buddies now, but that all could change when he is loose.

Feeding wont be a problem. My daughter has kept a handle on animal feeding duty for 2 years now. Thats her job and she gets mad if anybody else does it. Plus i have planed to keep adding a bag of pods every month unless i know the population is healthy.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk