How to feed an easily-startled Matted Filefish?

I am finally winning the second battle against Aiptasia. If it weren't for my Fire shrimp, the filefish would have never been added to my reef tank.

Now that the filefish is almost done with the aiptasia, I am worried that he will eventually begin to nip at my corals. I have tried to target feed him bc the mysis/bloodworm mix that I feed everyone else doesn't entice him at all. All he does is hide when the syringe hits the tank. He isn't afraid of me either, unlike the damsel one of my damsels.
The aiptasia is running low. Any suggestions? Thanks!:decision:

***Side note/question:
Should the base of my birdsnest be bleached? I is huge now and only the outer parts of the coral are nice and colorful.

I'm not sure how long you've had the file fish but when I originally bought mine it took him about 4-5 days before he would accept the frozen mysis, and much like yours it was very reclusive/ skittish anytime I put my hands or anything foreign into the tank. However if I would just feed normally and step back a couple feet I eventually saw it going for the mysis while leaving my Zoas alone entirely

I'm not sure how long you've had the file fish but when I originally bought mine it took him about 4-5 days before he would accept the frozen mysis, and much like yours it was very reclusive/ skittish anytime I put my hands or anything foreign into the tank. However if I would just feed normally and step back a couple feet I eventually saw it going for the mysis while leaving my Zoas alone entirely
I have had him for about a month. It took him about a week or so before I started seeing the aiptasia population decrease. I normally stand back after dumping a little mysis/bloodworm mix bc my yellow tang doesn't like any sudden movements either. Hopefully he starts soon.

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
I've had my filefish for almost 2 years now. He wiped out a whole bunch of aiptasia in the first few months and after that just started eating the frozen food I feed everyone else. Usually LRS or Chefzillas.

I've had my filefish for almost 2 years now. He wiped out a whole bunch of aiptasia in the first few months and after that just started eating the frozen food I feed everyone else. Usually LRS or Chefzillas.
I hope mine starts soon. His aiptasia is probably only going to last 1 or 2 tops...

This filefish is destroying my birsdsnest. I was so naive in thinking he wouldn't do something like this!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge using Tapatalk

Latest posts