Regal angel experts

So I goy my regal this past Saturday, haven't been able to get him to eat. He's pertyy eactive now m seems comfy around all his other tank mates, constantly swimming thru the rock work. Diff types of frozen, flake, pellets & even veggies n nothing. He picks my rock all day, I'm sure that's not anywhere enough to keep em full thru out the day. I noticed a tiny bit of fin rot on it's tail today so I'm a bit worried now!! Any suggestions to help get him to eat??

bigpaul

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
I have had the same problem. About 5 minutes before I fed I would put a couple drops of garlic in the water then I would feed with food that was soaking in garlic. It took about five days but it eventually ate.

I had success with formula I flakes and frozen clam on half shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frozen clams?? Do u defrost the clam or just throw it in there straight from the package?
[MENTION=8707]bigpaul[/MENTION]- I been adding the garlic to their food since I got it as I've done that with every fish I have

bigpaul

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
I stuck with mysis and a few drops of kent concentated garlic for several weeks. After he started eating the mysis without any issues I added pellets mixed in with the mysis, eventually he would eat both so I would not have to feed mysis all the time. I also changed how I fed instead of feeding all at once I fed a little more spread out over the day trying to give it more opportunity to eat.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Mine ate pellets one day one from LFS they had just got him that day, he was got a fresh water dip and didn't even finish drip acclimating. He is in QT tho very slow eater. Maybe that's why he was able to eat idk. But all it eats is pellets. The algeamax one

How long do u guys figure he can go just picking algae off rocks? Curious... Thanks for all the input fellas, so far the only thing I haven't tried is the frozen clams from all of the mentioned, will definitely give that a try tomorrow.
[MENTION=6904]Zoarder[/MENTION] when I feed he swims right by te food m shows zero interest every time

There is always live feed, such as brine and blood worm, that you can try. Or just put him in a reef with LPS and zoas, it's like a buffet bar for him.

[MENTION=8193]SC50964[/MENTION]- hmmm... Bloodworms are also on my list tomorrow!! So clams & live bloodworms. He's in a reef tank by the way lol. There's zoas, plenty of xenia he can eat if he wants

I used to have one in my reef and it loved my Scolys and plates, which happens to be my most expensive pieces. Didn't touch the brains, Lobos, bubbles, frogspawn, and torches.

I used to have one in my reef and it loved my Scolys and plates, which happens to be my most expensive pieces. Didn't touch the brains, Lobos, bubbles, frogspawn, and torches.

Well as long as he doesn't mess with my frogspawn or plate coral he can eat the zoas or xenias. He'd probably b doing me a favor!

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
A friend told me they also eat sponges, I bought one just in case. Maybe u can try that?

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
The couple of regals that I successfully kept for a.few years all ate crushed pellets to begin with and then as time.went on,.they ate.them whole

Sorry to high jack the thread. I am facing a dilemma and would like some advice. I've been eyeing a YBB for a couple of weeks. I haven't pulled the trigger bc 1) it hasn't eaten much at the store, and 2) I already have a Blueline angel fish in a 125 gallon. If the regal has no problem eating, what are the chances that a blueline will get along with it?