Sun bleaching ich

I had an ich outbreak. If I dried out my ceramic bio rings from my canister QT tank for a day would there be any chance of re-introducing the parasite to the display tank?

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds like you want to make the right steps but I would suggest researching the life cycle. It will take more than 4 weeks and it can travel on anything.

Just wondering, why do you want to add a canister filter? I see more harm than good. Also you do not want to add it if you used any chemicals with it on our qt tank

On adding the canister - I've been told I need to turn my tank over 8-10times/hr. I have a fluval 204 and a cascade 700. Those will do it together but not one all alone. It's not a drilled tank and setting up a refugium seems like a bigger cost than just simply adding the second canister. Plus I can use one canister for carbon/denitrator and the other for media. Just a thought

I'll do my best to wait the 6 weeks, but with no guarantee from any LFS (how could they) that I'm not getting ich(crypto) tainted fish it sort of seems like a waste. I guess waiting for my DT to clear just takes one element out of the equation.

I thought when crytpo fell off the fish and entered the tomont stage it adhered only to substrate/live rock/decorations in the tank? I understand it can take 6-9 weeks and the longer the better. I'll wait to add the other canister until I put the fish in.

Should I/could I get the fish in 3 weeks and QT them until the DT is ready? Using that canister from the original problem if I dumped the media and put fresh bags of carbon/media/sponges would that be ok? Or, wait 8 weeks then get fish and still QT them for 2 weeks?

I hope this all makes sense

If you dont wamt to drill the tank, an HOB overflow works well enough.

The main benefit of a sump is for more volume. That and you can keep your temp probes, skimmer etc away from the DT, in turn keeping attention towards tank instead of equipment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk