Show us your water-making station!

I'm in the process of building my mixing station. I like this set up but I just don't grasp the plumbing and how it works. If anyone can explain it to me I would be grateful.
Right brute have a float valve and connected to RODI. I open the middle ball valve on bottom row and very top valve to fill the left brute which I mix salt water. Open the left bottom valve and lower valve where the flex hose is connected (which goes to sump of my tank on the other side of the wall) and fill sump with salt water. Close the left bottom valve and open middle to pump top of water. The lower right valve will fill my portable tank to wash the car for a spotless finish.

HTH if you still don't get it. I can label the valve and maybe that will help

"MadMax's 500-gallon Capacity Mixing Station"

The project is not 100% complete as I am still waiting on the shipment of my main transfer pump (exterior) and finalizations on the plumbing.

Here are the Stats:
- New Shed Roof Addition for Shade Protection
- Main 300 Gallon RO/DI Water Storage Tank
- Secondary 150 Gallon Salt Mixing Tank
- Auxiliary 50 Gallon Storage Tank
- Full-Control Directional Plumbing
- Modified Quiet One 6000 Mixing Pump (submerged)
- Modified Quiet One 1200 Aerating Pump (submerged)
- 2 HP Pure Water Pump (external)
- 2 HP Main Transfer Pump (external/pending)

Overhead View showing angled roof addition to shed to protect Water Mixing Station from the Elements:

Valve Control System: Upper Valve will be attached to new 2HP pump (shipping/pending) ABS Valve is only friction fitted (no glue) so can rotate as needed without leakage.
Lower valve assembly is currently attached to an existing 2HP pump (under stand out of picture) Garden Hose hookup is for washing/rinsing cars

8-Stage RO/DI "six-pack" system: Three prefilters, Dual 100GPD RO membranes (200GPD total) and then Three seperate DI Resin Filters.
End Result: Absolutely Pure Laboratory-grade water - 0.00 TDS

Mixing Pump Power Transfer Bulkhead: (Pending completion) Power cord for mixing pump is "water-proofed" via 3/8" bulkhead fitting and 3/8" water line as the conduit.
Wire nuts will be wrapped and water proofed at a later time (not necessary for current operation)

Mixing Pump in Action:

Both Table Top and Mixing Barrel Stand are made from Treated 2"x4" Lumber and then encapsulated in Fiberglass Resin for durability and water proofing.
Both are double thickness (two layers of 2x4's) and would hold up an elephant!

Lastly, I should point out that this Mixing Station is not for the MAX show but rather for my own personal Reef System:
The RedSea MAX S650 is a 175 gallon total system (150 display and 25 sump) and is lighted by EIGHT 5-foot HO T5 lighting.

I am and will always be a hobbyist FIRST.
Thank you for visiting my humble mixing station photos!
Kevin Adams

Last edited:
For you guys with outdoor mixing stations... How do you deal with the evaporation from the 90-100 degree heat outside?

Or do you only mix salt water right when you're gonna use it and not store it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

For you guys with outdoor mixing stations... How do you deal with the evaporation from the 90-100 degree heat outside?

Or do you only mix salt water right when you're gonna use it and not store it?

These type water containers are sealed from the elements (access lids have o-ring seals) so there is no evaporative effect like with open top aquariums.
They have small vents in the center of the lids to allow passage of air in-and-out but not nearly big enough to lose any measurable amount of water.
Heat is also not an issue as heat is not transfered into the water to any significant degree, especially if shaded.
My real reason for shading everything is to slowdown the UV exposure of the plactic containers.

Interesting. I never thought about sealed containers like that to minimize evaporation. That makes sense now.

MarineDepot

Proud Sponsor
Premium sponsor
"MadMax's 500-gallon Capacity Mixing Station"

The project is not 100% complete as I am still waiting on the shipment of my main transfer pump (exterior) and finalizations on the plumbing.
Amazing! Thank you for the detailed description and photos. Your tank look looks very healthy and colorful. The room it's in is beautiful, too!

Amazing! Thank you for the detailed description and photos. Your tank look looks very healthy and colorful. The room it's in is beautiful, too!
Thank you for the kind words.
After eight years of organizing the MAX show and another eight years in the hobby previous to that I can only hope to have learned a few useful things along the way. Obviously color choice for wall paint is NOT one of them. Welcome to Casa de Adams restoraunte Mexicana, LOL!

Ok.. Not to one up anybody.. But only to inspire :) here's my baller setup ..

;)
Seriously need to get my act together apparently.. Lol nice systems . Cool to have so many ideas to work with :)

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Ok.. Not to one up anybody.. But only to inspire :) here's my baller setup ..

;)
Seriously need to get my act together apparently.. Lol nice systems . Cool to have so many ideas to work with :)
That looks like so much work lol get two 55 gallon containers, will make your life a lot easier :)

I know.. But then I need to transfer it into smaller ones to bring inside anyway lol l like doin things the hard way ;) although I do need to wait for hubs to go outta town so I can setup the rodi in the garage at least. ...'what weight bench, Honey?' ;)

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
I know.. But then I need to transfer it into smaller ones to bring inside anyway lol l like doin things the hard way ;) although I do need to wait for hubs to go outta town so I can setup the rodi in the garage at least. ...'what weight bench, Honey?' ;)
haha with a strong enough pump just get a very long hose and problem solved. Thats what I do, I don't carry water around :)