Return pump blowing out constant air bubbles

I have a JBJ 45 and one of my return pumps has a constant stream of micro bubbles being blown into the tank. I took the pump out cleaned it, made sure hoses were sealed tight, I have to pumps in same chamber only one is blowing out the air bubbles, water level is where is should be, checked the plastic fittings for any cracks that maybe air was getting drawn into and couldn't find anything.. Any advice?

Have you tried switching pumps? But I don't think it's the pump. It's drawing air from some place. What's the configuration of your sump? Maybe air is being introduced from a waterfall effect and that pump is closest to it sucks in the bubbles.

I was having a similar problem with micro bubbles too. It wasn't constant and the bubbles were so small they look like a bunch of dust specks. Turns out a waterfall, even only dropping 1/4" was causing it. Placed a sponge to stop the splashing and it stopped. Water is crystal clear now.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Also make sure the nozzles in the tank are sealed well too. small cracks or loose fitting can draw air in like a venturi effect. Also, sometimes if a nozzle is sitting high on the water's surface it will create a siphon of air and spit out air bubbles. Pointing nozzles downward can fix this.

I was having a similar problem with micro bubbles too. It wasn't constant and the bubbles were so small they look like a bunch of dust specks. Turns out a waterfall, even only dropping 1/4" was causing it. Placed a sponge to stop the splashing and it stopped. Water is crystal clear now.
Also make sure the nozzles in the tank are sealed well too. small cracks or loose fitting can draw air in like a venturi effect. Also, sometimes if a nozzle is sitting high on the water's surface it will create a siphon of air and spit out air bubbles. Pointing nozzles downward can fix this.
Its the JBJ 45 so its an all in one, no sump (unfortunately) although in the center chamber where the pump is, there are two pumps in there side by side coming up to two returns and only one has the micro bubbles. I'm going to try putting a sponge in there to rule that out but I think reefes is right about the venturi effect. If the sponge doesn't work I think I may try coral glueing the fittings. Not good with forums but I'll try figuring out how to put a pic of it.

https://imgur.com/a/vBfGPkS

1 side can be draining into the return section faster causing micro bubbles to form in 1 pump and not the other. Try to add something to block the return from getting direct spillage into the section ie filter floss or something and see if that helps

Ok I could actually turn the pump also so it sucks from the opposite side of the waterfall. Will try both and update. Thanks again for all the help

Latest posts