How hard is it to keep a snowflake eel

Ryan1783

I've been thinking of setting up a 150 gallon preditor tank and want to put a snowflake eel in there. I am looking for any info on them. Also and good tankmates
Thanks, Ryan

I've had one temporarily, until it escaped. I recommend a tight fitting screen top. The only other thing that can be a slight difficulty is getting one that eats frozen . I would ask to see it eat at the store

I've been thinking of setting up a 150 gallon preditor tank and want to put a snowflake eel in there. I am looking for any info on them. Also and good tankmates
Thanks, Ryan
They are an incredibly easy and hardy eel to keep. Most will accept a chunk of frozen krill or piece of table shrimp from tweezers though you may need to start them on live ghost shrimp. They have bad vision though, so usually you can gently move the krill or shrimp right up to touching their nose and they'll grab it by instinct. Only thing is you cannot have any holes or gaps anywhere in the tank that they can wiggle out of, they will escape.

I would almost call them bull it proof. Many years ago, I had a small one that was about 1' long and about as small around as my little finger. It used to always wind up in my HOB overflow or down in the sump until 1 day it was nowhere to be found. I followed its slimey trail on the carpet about 60' around the perimeter of the room and to behind a bookshelf in another room. It was eel jerkey when I peeled it off the carpet and threw it away. The next day the guy at pet store told me if it was still sticky I should have put it back in the water so when I went home I retrieved it from the trash and put it in a bowl with tank water. He was back to swimming around in less than an hour and lived for several years after until I sold all my livestock and tore down the tank.

Latest posts