Does anyone clean their sand?

I'm having nitrate and phosphate issue after a year. I was previously told to never touch the sand but now I see a lot of crap in it. I'm planning on buying a tube and going old school on my 2" sand bed tonight. Any suggestions?

I stir up the sand around my live rock every time i clean the tank.....never had an issue. But then again my sandbed is only like 2 inches deep

george!

Supporter
if its been a year do small sections i also have a 2 inch bed and clean it once a month

I usually sift like 1/2 my sand bead every time I do a WC, then I do then other 1/2 in the WC after that. It would be a great idea if you did small section every time you do a WC. I can't say 1'x1' sections or anything specific. Just stick with a small area and keep sifting until you no longer see any of the brown stuff coming out of the section. It could be that you have to keep doing that same area several times until you no longer get the murkyness from the sand.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I use a gravel vacuum on my 1" - 2" sandbed every water change. Keeps the sand nice and white.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
I don't clean my sand at all just pick up frags that fall in and die. My sand bed is only an inch now. Should be half inch by the end of the year. Just enough to not have a bare bottom.

Thanks everybody for the great advice! Definitely like the idea of doing a section at a time. It's going to be pretty ugly but I'm excited to get my levels down.

Latest posts