Transporting Coral Questions

GoBigGuy

Hi All,

So my brother is breaking down a friends 90gal reef tank on Tuesday up by Santa Barbara and I'm buying ALL the corals from him for a killer deal. My brother's plan is to break down the tank first think in the morning, do is normal route and bring them to my house in the early evening. Not sure if that's such a good idea with this heat.

He is planning on putting them in an ice chest with some ice pace but I'm thinking the whole will be too long.

How long can corals transfer in an ice chest for?

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Hi All,

So my brother is breaking down a friends 90gal reef tank on Tuesday up by Santa Barbara and I'm buying ALL the corals from him for a killer deal. My brother's plan is to break down the tank first think in the morning, do is normal route and bring them to my house in the early evening. Not sure if that's such a good idea with this heat.

He is planning on putting them in an ice chest with some ice pace but I'm thinking the whole will be too long.

How long can corals transfer in an ice chest for?
I think if they are bagged seperate inside a cooler they should make it. But if they are all bunched in they are gonna start killing each other

BeanMachine

Supporter
I think bagged separately and dont leave them in the car without ac... I wouldn't do the ice pack. Have him bring them into his work or whatever.

Bagging them is probably the best idea. Another one is to get different sizes of the disposable Tupperware and use those. Just regulate temperature in both cases..

GoBigGuy

I think bagged separately and dont leave them in the car without ac... I wouldn't do the ice pack. Have him bring them into his work or whatever.
Why is the ice pack bad? I know my brother will argue with when I tell him no ice pace

I am starting to think I am going to need to be "sick" that day and meet him there. He does service and will be driving around in his truck all day making stops. Sounds like keeping them bagged in an ice chest in the back of the truck won't work for an all day solution

BeanMachine

Supporter
Ice back might make the cooler to cold is the only reason. I would say nothing else and as long as it s not in a hot car for extended periods you should be ok.

Just take the sick day and pick them up and enjoy a nice day off... I'm sure you deserve it!! Haha

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Pegasus

Premium Member
Supporter
or you can let me have them since i live in santa barbara lol

ice pack wont be necessary, just dont leave the cooler in open sunlight and check on it every once n a while