Anyone unhappy with kessils?

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
Well let us know your progress when you do set it up... how deep is the tank... only time will tell I guess.
its only a 48x16x17 visio...just something to enjoy my lps and softies up close and for the meantime until i set up my next big system.

Have you tried changing all 4 bulbs to actinic and seeing if that helps?
What I'm saying is the kessil isn't blue enough for my liking. By itself, the color should be awesome. It's not. Maybe it will grow on me, but they don't seem very bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
If they are supplementing another light, they are awesome. Have yet to read a good review on the kessil as a stand alone light.
I guess we'll see how it goes. I'm not trying for a hardcore SPS tank or anything, I'm more a softies and LPS kinda girl but would like to be able to grow anything. Aaron at SPS steered me to the Ns rather than the WEs for my tank so hopefully they'll have a lot of punch.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I guess we'll see how it goes. I'm not trying for a hardcore SPS tank or anything, I'm more a softies and LPS kinda girl but would like to be able to grow anything. Aaron at SPS steered me to the Ns rather than the WEs for my tank so hopefully they'll have a lot of punch.
why the Ns instead of the WEs?

Good thing I didn't get mine yet but I'm thinking of getting a strip LEDs that give out a good blue color I'm going back to T5 and metal halide combo but I want a led as well the supplement. Anyone know a good led strip fixture beside ecoxotics.

I used to have AquaticLife, which mixed in some reds among blues and whites. It looked purple. My LPS and anemone loved it, but I didn't. I have since switched over to a150w, which is only 2w less than the AquaticLife. I love the blues and don't miss the purple look, but my anemone has died. All LPS appear to have no preference. I was actually thinking about switching to A350 or 360 sometime down the road, thinking that it's just a brighter blue. But guess I won't now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Where are all the Kessil supporters? I have read many online reviews where people love their Kessils. I can't believe they are that bad.
They are not necessarily bad but don't seem to be liked by our community. They are very spotty and dim. You need more than recommended to achieve what you want. Everyone has different taste and different ideas for their tank.

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
In all honesty, one of the reasons we bought them is for the form factor - my boyfriend has a cat that will definitely try to jump on any kind of flat light. The fact that they're made by an American company in NoCal was another reason. I'm sure they'll be fine for my tank.