T5 fixture w/ led supplement modification

I am seriously considering modifying my Hamilton beach t5 bulb fixture and considering taking 2-3 bulbs out and adding rows of LEDs. Is there anyone that does this has done it or wouldn't mind working on the project with me. Would appreciate any advice and suggestions

Easy if you add some ecoxotic panoramas or current led strips instead of building your own from scratch

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Easy if you add some ecoxotic panoramas or current led strips instead of building your own from scratch

ya i have looked at those but i think their are better leds on the market and would rather mod it with the best around, i have thought about adding 1 of those to the front of the fixture to add shimmer and some lighting but looking into other choices as well.

I have been looking at the same thing for my 6 bulb fixture. I have been told that the reef rites are not strong enough to add shimmer when the T5's are on.

I have been looking at the same thing for my 6 bulb fixture. I have been told that the reef rites are not strong enough to add shimmer when the T5's are on.
Getting shimmer when 6 t5s are on is pretty tough. Most people with the ATI hybrid complain that they see minimal/no shimmer when all t5s are on.

Just do the opposite. Get a good led panel or two and add supplemental t5 (2-4 bulbs). That adds the shimmer as well as the full coverage of t5 and its cheaper than replacing 6 t5 bulbs. I run a maxspect razor 160w on my nano along with 2 24" t5 bulbs for the better full coverage. I'm real happy with the color and growth

I run 2 Kessil A360w's with 2 2-bulb T5's in my canopy on my 75. The setup is similar to a MH/T5 fixture. The shimmer is excellent, even when running two super bright coral plus bulbs. The T5's definitely take away from the shimmer compared to just the Kessils on their own, but I feel the benefit that the corals get from the T5 outweighs it. I leave the T5's running while I am at work, and the Kessils are on when I wake up and when I get home. The power savings is huge compared to MH.