nitro RC. total newb

so I traded my tank set up for. beater traxxas tmaxx 3.3. it ran when he was here and the following day. I don't know jack sh!t about gas RC stuff. I thought just start and go. but there's a lot of stuff that needs to be right for it to work. I just ordered some parts like new filter and a muffler since it was cracked. my dumb @$$ twisted a bunch if knobs since I couldn't start it, throwing the settings way off. but I read some post on a forum and was able to find out what factory settings are. I believe it's set right but won't start. not sure if it's the glownplug or starter wand. I'm just too noon to know what wrong. ez start works and is turning but the engine is not starting. any ideas for this newb? and how doninknownif it's the glownplug that's the problem.

Traxxas is a pretty good brand. Easy to start. Check the ez start wand if it's charged. Clean the glow plug or replace it. Sometime it just get flooded. Don't mess with the idle setting once it's set. You don't need to buy new filter you can just clean it and oil it up. If you need help just stop by the RC stores like Rob's hobbies or Ultimate's hobbies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use after burn oil when you done playing with the RC, so it will keep it lubricated. How old is the engine? Hopefully you don't have to replace the engine.

Use after burn oil when you done playing with the RC, so it will keep it lubricated. How old is the engine? Hopefully you don't have to replace the engine.

I have no idea how old it is but it's had a long life. it ran fine when he came here and the day after. I just got to figure out what the thing wants. lol. hoping it's just a blown glow plug. glow plug is like a spark plug right? and after burn oil? like drain the gas tank and out that in or **** some in the engine?
I blew my .21 buggy engine on day 5 lol bad tune is super bad

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
wow. you were pushing it huh? but I did read bad tuning or running too hot is very bad. I didn't know I had to pay attention to temp. I do now so I'll check it when I get it working.

reefLA1

wow. you were pushing it huh? but I did read bad tuning or running too hot is very bad. I didn't know I had to pay attention to temp. I do now so I'll check it when I get it working.
I was running 100%throttle open it was super fast but cost me 100$ for 5 min run lol. Temp is important . Also if the engine wasn't broken in properly engine life is shorter .

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Woohoo for rc nerds. . . lol mines just sits and has been sitting for years had a tc3 by team associated! Don't know if they are still around lol

Yes, glow plug is like a spark plug on a car. Just take the glow plug out wipe it clean and put it back.

After burn oil is just oil that use after you done playing with the RC just to prevent the engine from serious wear and damage.

Yes, glow plug is like a spark plug on a car. Just take the glow plug out wipe it clean and put it back.

After burn oil is just oil that use after you done playing with the RC just to prevent the engine from serious wear and damage.

how do you know if the plug is bad or not? my easy start wand has a light that says glow but does it light if bad or light if good? idk. lol. but it diesnt light. right now I'm just assuming it's the glow plug that is bad. he had some terrible connections too with electrical tape so I ordered a whole new harnest for the easy started. which has one connection to glow plug.

how do you know if the plug is bad or not? my easy start wand has a light that says glow but does it light if bad or light if good? idk. lol. but it diesnt light. right now I'm just assuming it's the glow plug that is bad. he had some terrible connections too with electrical tape so I ordered a whole new harnest for the easy started. which has one connection to glow plug.
You can take AA battery with 2 wires and try to make contact with the glow plug. If you see the one ends glow then it's still good.

Just good ahead and charge the battery on the wand.

Usually there should be only one connecting wire that connect to the glow plug. Sounds like he did a mickey mouse on the wiring.

Also whatever nitro fuel the engine was broken in with, should stick with the same one.

You can take AA battery with 2 wires and try to make contact with the glow plug. If you see the one ends glow then it's still good.

Just good ahead and charge the battery on the wand.

Usually there should be only one connecting wire that connect to the glow plug. Sounds like he did a mickey mouse on the wiring.
one wire to the glow and the other on metal I saw on a video. but does the plug literally glow? that's what I can figure out. and I've been charging the wand. maybe I need a new battery. he said I had to charge it once a week even if I'm not using it. so I assume the battery pack is old. mybe that's why. and he gave me a bottle of traxxas fuel so I assume thats what he uses.

one wire to the glow and the other on metal I saw on a video. but does the plug literally glow? that's what I can figure out. and I've been charging the wand. maybe I need a new battery. he said I had to charge it once a week even if I'm not using it. so I assume the battery pack is old. mybe that's why. and he gave me a bottle of traxxas fuel so I assume thats what he uses.
The glow plug should glow like amber color on the end that goes into the engine. When in doubt throw it out and put a new one in. The glow plug is really cheap to be messing around all day.

Sound like the battery for the wand is old. You may need to replace it.

Check the label on the fuel on what % is the nitro. You can use other brands, but try to use the same % on the nitro.

The glow plug should glow like amber color on the end that goes into the engine. When in doubt throw it out and put a new one in. The glow plug is really cheap to be messing around all day.

Sound like the battery for the wand is old. You may need to replace it.

Check the label on the fuel on what % is the nitro. You can use other brands, but try to use the same % on the nitro.
I was going to check fuel % last night but didn't have time. but instead 20% is recommended. what happens with higher %? faster and pushes engine harder I assume. I'll buy a new battery. thanks.

You can take the glowplug out and connect the wire and ground the plug on the motor to see if it glows like a cigarette.