Refractometer rusting - Spray with WD-40?

Hello,

I have a Milwaukee portable refractometer which has a little flipping piece of glass or (clear plastic) that covers the salt water sample for salinity reading. There is a metal pin that holds this piece of glass which also allowing the glass to rotate up and down. This metal pin is getting rusty. What is the proper way to remove the rust from the pin? I was going to spray the WD-40 from auto store, but not sure if it is the right way to remove the rust. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Hello,

I have a Milwaukee portable refractometer which has a little flipping piece of glass or (clear plastic) that covers the salt water sample for salinity reading. There is a metal pin that holds this piece of glass which also allowing the glass to rotate up and down. This metal pin is getting rusty. What is the proper way to remove the rust from the pin? I was going to spray the WD-40 from auto store, but not sure if it is the right way to remove the rust. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I wouldn't you are gonna get it everywhere... It shouldn't have rust unless you don't clean it and out it away...

My Tank Build
Just leave the rust. Your not putting the water u test back into your tank. The rust shouldn't even effect the the way it performs

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Is there a shelf life for refractometer? Does the prism get dirty over time and give inaccurate readings? Just curious