Reef Crystals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using the regular instant ocean salt for years but now I'd like to switch to Reef Crystals. Does anyone thing that would be too much stress on the system? Or no big deal?

pgr11

Supporter
Just do a few small WC and not one big one and you'll be fine. If its working though why switch

xthunderx

Premium Member
Supporter
I started with Instant Ocean...then I changed to Reef Crystals thinking it would be better for my corals. I'm now back to Instant Ocean and plan to stick to it.

I prefer Instant Ocean at this point and I would recommend it.

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
I started with Instant Ocean...then I changed to Reef Crystals thinking it would be better for my corals. I'm now back to Instant Ocean and plan to stick to it.

I prefer Instant Ocean at this point and I would recommend it.
Yo PC...post a few pics of your sps colonies and i'm sure he'll think twice about switching from IO ; )

xthunderx

Premium Member
Supporter
Lol! Thanks Jesse. It worked for me when I saw Solitudes tank.

You're due for a visit no? You and Damian.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I've been using the regular instant ocean salt for years but now I'd like to switch to Reef Crystals. Does anyone thing that would be too much stress on the system? Or no big deal?
I have 2 aquariums. 1 using IO and 1 using RC. I don't dose my tanks with any supplements. Just 10% water change weekly. The live rocks in the IO salt tank look plain and unattractive. The live rocks in the RC salt tank have nice purple coralline algae growing on them. So RC works better for my situation (no dosing). And once a while, I got an IO bucket with visible unwanted particles in it.

Go for IO! It's cheaper and reefers here have used it with good results. I jumped to reef crystals from IO too and saw no noticeable difference except for the higher price.

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
Lol! Thanks Jesse. It worked for me when I saw Solitudes tank.

You're due for a visit no? You and Damian.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ah, you very intuitive guy. i was about to text you yesterday but too long of a text so i will just pm you my request and my demands. lol

Just gradually switch to the new salt over a couple months. IO costs me $35/200g, RC $55/200, i also use tropic marine pro $70/200g. Ive tried most salts out there & have seen nice reefs with every brand of salt, so its the reefer & not the salt. Imagine that, its the craftsman & not his tools?

IO is sold everywhere & usually clean, but its low in minerals & you will have to dose / calcium reactor for SPS & LPS reefs.

Thanks for everybody's input. I really have no reason to change. I've just heard a lot of good things about RC. I've been using IO for years but only within the last year or so I've been dosing. I already have all the equipment for dosing so I think I'll stick with IO.

pgr11

Supporter
Thanks for everybody's input. I really have no reason to change. I've just heard a lot of good things about RC. I've been using IO for years but only within the last year or so I've been dosing. I already have all the equipment for dosing so I think I'll stick with IO.
Smart decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts