Hypothetical : who keeps freshwater shrimp?

Copper kills inverts this is known.

Freshwater inverts are no different.

Has anyone put their fw shrimp water change into their top off water for their reef?

I was thinking about how beneficial a lack of water changes are in fw planted shrimp tanks, as the only hard element that sticks around without plants is iron, and there is usually some in the water change that sticks around, and that caulerpa asexual reproduction is inhibited in presence of both Fe2 and Fe3.

Im thinking that water change water from a fw shrimp tank could be great if fed directly into a macro algae housing refugium.

I have never tested it, but am fully prepared to do so in the coming weeks.

Any fellow double dipper ever done it?

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
Is your freshwater shrimp tank rodi water or mix half to and tap like most planted tanks are? As you know in planted tanks with shrimp tend to have NPK + csmb at least for the plants needs. Depending on your substrate it leaches nh4, no3, and po4 for the plants needs it also buffers pH at lower levels such as substrate like Ada Amazonia type ii, so in a reef tanks which are typically higher levels.

Now if your tank was bare bottom no substrate just shrimp then the only issue I see is a different strain of bb if any in the water column

So have you done it?

Btw, I have never personally used ADA, but plenty of its imposters, and I believe they deliberately omit po4 for sake of algae. Nh4/no3 oftrn spike with ada and fluval stratum and some of the other volcanics, but are basically just there for the same reason as the walstad substrates - to allow a self fertilizing water column inside if the substrate that ibitiates a bqlqnced nitrogen cycle. It, like refugium muds, vanish pretty quickly after the first week and water change.

I am truly curious if anyone has tried this with caulerpa or ulva.

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
I wouldn't do it just saying we don't know what else is in there maybe you should send an icp test for it

That seems like an awesome test. How much does that cost? I'm not sure i even want to invest the time of making a quote proposal if it costs more than $50 when i could spend as much on a safe experiment of my own just to track macro algae growth in a separate aquarium.

Latest posts