School me? Whats the differences between scrubbers, fuge, algae reactors?

Just trying to figure out what direction what to go with in my new build? Don't have so much room for a huge but I could make if absolutely needed. But I'm seeing all these other cool idea i.e. algae scrubbers and algae reactors? Can anyone tell me any major differences? Thanks!!!!!

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Algae turf scrubbers grow green hair algae. I have the Turbo V2 and it was very efficient and easy to clean. Plumbing and finding somewhere to mount it was its only down side.

Algae reactors usually are used with chaeto. I've never used one but they look to be very efficient as well. Not sure if there are types that dont spill light into the rest of the cabinet sump.

Refugiums open you up to keeping more than one type of algae or coral/clams to help with nutrient level. They also give a place for pods to reproduce and some use deep sand beds to help with nitrates in that section. Only down side is the extra room needed for a good size refugium. Maybe not as efficient as the ATS/Algae reactor unless you have the space to go big. A little more effort involved if you're trying to maintain a clean sump/fuge.

If I have enough room I'd choose a refugium for the added pods, space for more live rock ect. After that ATS would be my next choice.

With Matt. Personally I see zero reason for an Algae reactor unless all you have room for is a less than litre size container space under you tank, too small a sump so you have to use a HOB. But then for the money of a HOB reactor you can get a HOB refugium for added rock and macro algae with proven benefits.
What I think happened is someone had a spare media chamber laying around and wanted to find a use for it. So they put some chaeto in it and BOOM! The next fad in the hobby was born. Then the retailers jumped the bandwagon and and are currently raking in the reef tank groupies money till the next fad shows it's face.
I've used scrubbers before with great results and like expressed by some never did a water change for almost two years with it being my sole filtration. I find them temperamental for lack of a better word. I've built them for other systems and had poor results with getting them going and achieving desired growth. I think they're really better suited for high nutrient tanks which is really the best tanks to have with coral. One thing the ocean does not lack is nutrients or algae.

Thanks for such detailed a answer You think pods could work inside a algae reactor?
Algae turf scrubbers grow green hair algae. I have the Turbo V2 and it was very efficient and easy to clean. Plumbing and finding somewhere to mount it was its only down side.

Algae reactors usually are used with chaeto. I've never used one but they look to be very efficient as well. Not sure if there are types that dont spill light into the rest of the cabinet sump.

Refugiums open you up to keeping more than one type of algae or coral/clams to help with nutrient level. They also give a place for pods to reproduce and some use deep sand beds to help with nitrates in that section. Only down side is the extra room needed for a good size refugium. Maybe not as efficient as the ATS/Algae reactor unless you have the space to go big. A little more effort involved if you're trying to maintain a clean sump/fuge.

If I have enough room I'd choose a refugium for the added pods, space for more live rock ect. After that ATS would be my next choice.

Fly and Christian. Do either of you have a fuge? If so why run the algae reactor? Just another piece of equipment, more lights and power consumption to do the same thing you're already doing in the fuge. So instead of more growth in it your just having two half sized nutrient extraction points.
And if you think the reactor is really helping wouldn't you consider that your fuge isn't adequately set up to operate efficiently? Everything I ever read about scrubbers is you don't want the competition in growth to the screen except for maybe a skimmer to remove solid particulate. Thus the reason most remove their scrubber because they don't see the growth they think they should and figure they don't work and so get a bad rap at being efficient nutrient removers. When in reality it's poor set up and design being they are scaled to nutrients added, not size of tank.
I read a lot about skimmers in the past as well as current. The idea bigger is better doesn't seem to jive either. That's why they come with gallon ratings. If they didn't it would be one size fits all.
But to borrow a one time reefers statement. What do I know? I'm just a dummy(Truck driver). Adding with several successful aquariums over the years. Yes with struggles but never calling it quits.
You'll never see conversations like this on RC where people, locals, discuss reefing topics. Just what's for sale.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
They are all just exporting nutrients one way or another. I have used most of them including upflow algae scrubbers.but I think my favorite would be the one I have yet to try, the reactor. It’s a great idea, doesn’t take up room in your sump and you can easily control the amount of water that flows through it. think I’ll try one on my next build

Last edited: