60 gallon Seahorse tank build

Hey there! Setting up my second seahorse tank. I'm putting Kuda's in this one. Maybe H. Barbouri (spikes) depending on a few things. I'm leaning towards full macro algae once the aquascaping is finished and cycling is done. When are you supposed to add the macro to the display tank?

On the left I'm thinking of putting C. Prolifera. I'm not sure how to plant this. What to expect when adding macro to a display...

Oh. If the macro doesn't work out then I'm going to plastic plants for color and hitching posts.

Water added!

Some red macro that Jon gave me. It wouldn't glue on. Grrrr

Tank is not quite cycled yet. No algae bloom... Yet.

Thanks for all your guys help!

Ohana means family and family means no seahorse gets left behind.

Sorry one of the pics is of seasides horse tank. The tank isn't doing that great. The C. Prolifera all died off in the tank and created a spike. So needless to say I'm rectifying the issue.

reefsUP

You should get a pod (tiger,tisbe,tangerine,)
population going in there as well to keep your horses munching all day between meals
Your making me miss my DT macro tank eventually ill add one again kudos looks good btw

Pods are in there... Small hitch. One word: hydroids. So constant phyto feedings have come to a halt until hydroids are gone.

Update: need to upgrade to 100 gallon tank. With 40 gallon sump. We needed some room in the room. So brought the 56 and 60. Incorporated both tanks to the 100. Left me with a 75 gallon tank for Kudas and tonga branches.

Atf22

Ok, here is the upgrade to the upgrade almost finished picture!

Wow, first time ever seeing a sea horse tank! Looks really really nice! It's looks so simple, yet gorgeous. Great job!

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Very cool setup. 1 big tank always looks nicer the multiple small ones.

How much horsepower can a 100g handle?

Very cool setup. 1 big tank always looks nicer the multiple small ones.

How much horsepower can a 100g handle?
The 100 gal has a 40 gal sump.

I agree with you on that. Larger tanks are more stable. As for how many ponies? It depends on what type of horse you get, typically for regular seahorse like Hippocampus Erectus, it's typically 30gal/pair. Add 10 gal for another pair. I pref 40gal/pair, 20 gal for additional pairs. I have Kudas, Reidi, and Erectus in the 100 gal.

They are all captive bred, Kudas are ORA. I'm moving the Kudas into another tank. And I'm getting 4 Ocean Rider Sunburst and Mustangs for a 75 gal + 40 gal sump that's on pause. You know in this hobby $$ is always a constraint!

So in a round about way, 3 pairs is safe for a 100 gal tank.