Tank on vinyl plank flooring

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Finishing up installation on my LPV coretech floor and am now starting to think about my next tank. It will be between 150-180 gallons. Im hoping to do a steel stand with adjustable feet. Im worried this will put too much pressure on the vinyl planks and am hoping to hear from anyone who has experience with this. My concern is bowing/denting the planks.

you're gonna have to use like 50 adjustable feet for that stand...

LMFAO...

but yeah, you're floor gonna be ruined...

Im in the same boat with a build Im planning and I was thinking of building a metal frame with multiple adjustable feet but then set it on a 2 X 6 pressed wood base and have the frame skinned to hang over the wood.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Im in the same boat with a build Im planning and I was thinking of building a metal frame with multiple adjustable feet but then set it on a 2 X 6 pressed wood base and have the frame skinned to hang over the wood.
How large of a tank?

Finishing up installation on my LPV coretech floor and am now starting to think about my next tank. It will be between 150-180 gallons. Im hoping to do a steel stand with adjustable feet. Im worried this will put too much pressure on the vinyl planks and am hoping to hear from anyone who has experience with this. My concern is bowing/denting the planks.

I have vinyl planks put in because of the possible water issues with wood floors before i put in my 180. Had a steel stand built with 2 inch tubular steel and 8 adjustable feet. Its not noticeably denting yet. The feet are holding up but I wont lie, they do make me a little nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy guesstimating of tank weight at 2,400lbs and 8 feet with maybe 3 square inch foot pad would be 100lbs per square inch on the flooring. Is there any type of pressure rating or something like that on the flooring?

Easy guesstimating of tank weight at 2,400lbs and 8 feet with maybe 3 square inch foot pad would be 100lbs per square inch on the flooring. Is there any type of pressure rating or something like that on the flooring?
Ill see if I can find a spare box and check if theres a rating.

rareform

Im currently building a steel stand and had the same concerns with the new tile we just installed. So how Im building it is 1-1/4 .120 wall square tubing with a 22 gauge floor. I will put thin foam under the entire bottom. Im going to make the bottom water proof and it will hold 10.5 gallons for the spills. The stand is 66 wide 33 deep and the height will be adjustable. Im having to build it in pieces so it will fit threw the door way. I have 6 1-1/4 legs and will install one back brace and a brace on one side to keep the stand from racking during an earthquake. The top will be either 1-1/2 butcher block or bowling ally lane 6x36. The plan for the sides is 3 piece panels held on with magnates. I will start posting pictures as soon as I figure out how to.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
you're gonna have to use like 50 adjustable feet for that stand...

LMFAO...

but yeah, you're floor gonna be ruined...
Youre probably right. I was able to install the floor myself and have extra so if i need to pullback down the road and replaced the damaged planks its not the end of the world. Be a days work. Im almost tempted to core holes for the feet so it is still technically floating and the tank is resting on concrete.

I have vinyl planks put in because of the possible water issues with wood floors before i put in my 180. Had a steel stand built with 2 inch tubular steel and 8 adjustable feet. Its not noticeably denting yet. The feet are holding up but I wont lie, they do make me a little nervous.

Awesome tank! Floor looks good to me . No bowing at the crack. I chose this type floor for the same reasons.

Coretech static load limit 250psi on .004"
Im currently building a steel stand and had the same concerns with the new tile we just installed. So how Im building it is 1-1/4 .120 wall square tubing with a 22 gauge floor. I will put thin foam under the entire bottom. Im going to make the bottom water proof and it will hold 10.5 gallons for the spills. The stand is 66 wide 33 deep and the height will be adjustable. Im having to build it in pieces so it will fit threw the door way. I have 6 1-1/4 legs and will install one back brace and a brace on one side to keep the stand from racking during an earthquake. The top will be either 1-1/2 butcher block or bowling ally lane 6x36. The plan for the sides is 3 piece panels held on with magnates. I will start posting pictures as soon as I figure out how to.
I look forward to the pictures. Flckr by Yahoo amd imgur are pretty user friendly.

If you have extra material, and certain you want adjustable legs, maybe cut a little square of extra material to put under each leg ( so it messes up the "buffer" square first" ).

Do you really think that will work? Wont the same weight & pressure still be on the wood below?
Yes of course the same weight would be on the wood below, and I am not sure if it would be so much pressure that it would go through double thick material. I think he is putting in Vinyl flooring if I am not mistaken, not wood. I just think it would be a little added protection, since it seems to be a try and find out kind of situation. :)

I personally don't like the legs because I have seen them rust and fear they will randomly break after many years... Not sure though.

if the vinyl planks are on top of a cement slab, then i wouldn't worry too much... i thought you had wood floor and a crawl space like my house... i have danish couches with tiny feet, and they destroyed my vinyl flooring... now i'm replacing the floor with this new thick vinyl planks, but putting steel plates under neath...

Latest posts