Rimless?

Diogenes7

I have an sc aquarium 50 gallon rimless that will be put up for sale once my 120 finishes cycling, but that won't be for at least another month. If you are looking to get one right now, go down to the sc aquarium warehouse in Ontario. They'll take around $200 off if you do local pickup
How much did u want for it?

Diogenes7

I'm having some serious doubts on rimless. I really live the design of them, however I feel like for the same price I could get something almost 3 times bigger. Idk what I should do considering it will be my first tank. what would u guys recommend?

Diogenes7

I ended up buying the 80g rimless. Also got a 40g breeder. Built the stand , now I need your help with skimmers. I was thinking Aquamaxx ConeS Co-2. What do you guys think?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I ended up buying the 80g rimless. Also got a 40g breeder. Built the stand , now I need your help with skimmers. I was thinking Aquamaxx ConeS Co-2. What do you guys think?

I think that would be good fit.

LJC6780

I have an 85 gallon rimless and love it! It's got a low profile so it's got a nice footprint. I have a little bit of drippage down the sides when I'm putting my arms in but I keep a stack of flour sack towels (cheap at Walmart and make great fish towels!) under the cabinet and just wipe it off and shine it up when I'm done. The only problem I've had with spilling was the other day when I turned my gyre on and didn't have it positioned well and it was on like 90% and started flooding over the side! I couldn't get it turned off fast enough! It was totally one of my moves! Lol thankfully we have tile!

Anyway, I have 2 Kessils mounted to the back of the tank. It looks really sleek!

I have a trigger Emerald sump, life reef Skimmer, ATO reservoir with tunze ATO, and to top it all off, it's all controlled with Apex!

I bought it all as a full reef setup and am absolutely in love!

Get some pics up! I'm excited to follow along with your build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diogenes7

I have an 85 gallon rimless and love it! It's got a low profile so it's got a nice footprint. I have a little bit of drippage down the sides when I'm putting my arms in but I keep a stack of flour sack towels (cheap at Walmart and make great fish towels!) under the cabinet and just wipe it off and shine it up when I'm done. The only problem I've had with spilling was the other day when I turned my gyre on and didn't have it positioned well and it was on like 90% and started flooding over the side! I couldn't get it turned off fast enough! It was totally one of my moves! Lol thankfully we have tile!

Anyway, I have 2 Kessils mounted to the back of the tank. It looks really sleek!

I have a trigger Emerald sump, life reef Skimmer, ATO reservoir with tunze ATO, and to top it all off, it's all controlled with Apex!

I bought it all as a full reef setup and am absolutely in love!

Get some pics up! I'm excited to follow along with your build!

Your tank looks awesome!

Due to some renovations and some unforseen circumstances, my tank build has been going at a snail's pace. But anyways,

So far I got a 80g rimless 40g breeder which I finished the baffles this week. And I built the frame of the stand. O ya, I also bought a skimmer from one of the members here.

My next step is going to be wrapping up the stand. While I do that, I'll be trying to find a ro/di unit that's affordable.

Question for u, would you have done anything different if u had to start over today?

Also, you should share more pics of your tank with us.

LJC6780

Your tank looks awesome!

Due to some renovations and some unforseen circumstances, my tank build has been going at a snail's pace. But anyways,

So far I got a 80g rimless 40g breeder which I finished the baffles this week. And I built the frame of the stand. O ya, I also bought a skimmer from one of the members here.

My next step is going to be wrapping up the stand. While I do that, I'll be trying to find a ro/di unit that's affordable.

Question for u, would you have done anything different if u had to start over today?

Also, you should share more pics of your tank with us.

Let's see. With my previous tank, a biocube 29, I started with filtered tap water. If I had to do over I would start with RODI! We ended up having high phosphates in our water and it caused a huge algae problem that it never recovered from. Next I would quarantine EVERYTHING! When I moved the setup I had everything in what I like to call temporary housing. Lol I had a 10 and 20 gallon tank and a large 35-40 gallon rubbermade tub set up for at least a couple weeks. I should have taken this time to get the tank up and running with most of the live rock and kept everything else in QT before moving. I should have prophylactically treated the fish for ich and other parasites. Then watched and dipped the corals for pests. I have recently discovered what I think is ich on my clownfish, which means it's in my display even though I've moved her to QT. I've also had to remove my montis because of monti eating nudis. I THINK I actually did see them in the bin but I didn't realize it was a pest. I assumed it was detritus and sand. :-/ so. Lesson learned there. I'm about to trap my other two fish and move them to QT and treat them all and leave my DT fallow for 3 months. I will then be putting EVERYTHING in QT before it goes into the tank. All fish will be prophylactically treated for ich and other parasites whether they show symptoms or not since it can lay dormant in some fish. All corals will stay in QT also because of the possible transfer of ich or other yuckies! Some may call it overboard but it's better than having to treat it all later!!

Also, as far as a RODI unit goes, my system came with a standard 75 gpd system and I was getting about 1:4 clean:waste water. I then won a small system at one of our local reef events and upgraded it to 150 gpd and now get about 2:1 clean:waste water. Not only can I make more water in a shorter amount of time but I significantly cut down on the waste water! So if this is a concern for you, look into one of the more efficient systems or upgrade a smaller system. I ordered the extra parts I needed from BRS and now I run sediment, carbon, finer carbon, 2 75 gpd RO membranes (one from filtered line and the other from the first RO waste line) then through 2 DI canisters (mainly to help remove tougher things like chloramines and phosphates and to use it up completely before replacing.)

Do people get away with using basic systems? Yes. Do they end up using more gfo to battle phosphates or have other issues? Possibly. Does it waste more water? Probably.

Uh ... I guess that's about all. Nothing extremely horrible but definitely things I've learned from!

I'll see about starting a tank thread for you!

austin.ras

Definitely go rimless! Gotta hang your light though. And yea sc aquariums has amazing tank set ups for cheap I got my 50 Gallon cube plug and play for $500 brand new.

That is a good starter tank but as I have been doing the hobby you always tend to go larger. The larger the tank the easier for maintaining.

Latest posts