Copper test kit

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
What is your preferred copper test kit? I'm using copper power, its effective level is 2.5 ppm. I'm currently using the API kit, but the color indicators jump from 2 ppm to 4ppm - and the colors aren't all that different. I was planning to just shoot towards 2ppm, which it looks like I'm at but now my female rhomboid seems to have some marks on her slime coat. I'm not sure if its aggression from another fish or maybe my level is a bit high. I know they tend to be sensitive to copper so I'm thinking if im even slightly over, that could be the problem. The QT is in my garage, so its possible im just not witnessing it. Seems her mask is very purple now, so i'm not sure if shes turning sub-male for some reason.

I also have he seachem kit, but that only goes up to 1.0 for cupramine. States all types of copper, but the max isn't high enough.

I haven't noticed any aggression, and all other fish look fairly normal minus the neon goby who was blown up with ich and spots, seemed to be shedding before treatment. Makes me think I'm dealing with velvet. That and I lost my white tail bristletooth in under 48 hours after qt. Second day there wasn't a section on him that wasn't covered in ich and I was stuck slowly ramping it up for the wrasses. I have a ammonia alert badge on the tank, to my eye it looks zero but the colors aren't all that different. I'm doing the first water change tonight, probably %50 and adding copper back as needed to rule ammonia out.

I agree. The colors on the seachem test are impossible to dfferentiate. I think it is the most useless test I have ever used.

You can borrow my lamotte test kit. I'm not using it. Just refill the reagent when you're done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk