Help with RODI

bvysochin

Supporter
2020 POTM
Oak View, CA 93022- about 15 min from Ventura
It looks like you have two carbon stages. Water going through a carbon stage has the chlorine removed. The chlorine is what keeps that algae from growing. Had the same thing happen to all our filters that were past the first carbon stage, that got exposed to sunlight.

How old are the filters? I only ask because I would change out ALL the filters including the membrane. It's just an algae bloom. Same thing happened to one of mine when I left it outside while I did some work on some plumbing. Once you change the filters just cover the canisters if you can't move the unit out of direct sunlight.

How old are the filters? I only ask because I would change out ALL the filters including the membrane. It's just an algae bloom. Same thing happened to one of mine when I left it outside while I did some work on some plumbing. Once you change the filters just cover the canisters if you can't move the unit out of direct sunlight.
They are 4-6 months old. Its in a box i made so they are not exposed to direct sun light. Maybe a cover so they can be in complete darkness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are 4-6 months old. Its in a box i made so they are not exposed to direct sun light. Maybe a cover so they can be in complete darkness.

Hmmm if it not in direct sunlight it might be bacterial.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

eww... better hope that stuff is not in your membrane... once a membrane goes anaerobic, there's no way to clean it out or fix it...

Is that bad?

It kinda defeats the purpose of filtered water. When that happened to mine I replaced all filters including the membrane. Chances are that if its growing on a filter block, it's also growing in the membrane. I hated spending money to replace everything but when you stop to think about it, it's cheaper to replace the filters than it is to replace your livestock.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
cartridges should be changed out around 6 months of use if not too heavy. membranes can last up to 2 years under moderate use and depending how bad your source water is. Also, should be back flushing your RODI unit after use. I'd change everything out after drying and giving a good cleaning. Funny thing is I had a bloom when I wasn't using mine too often. Probably because even water in a filter can become stagnant. Also, make sure to run some water through the new filters to get any residue out.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
For the price of a membrane and additional filters, you might be better off getting a new unit off Craigslist or here. Depending on te the unit you are replacing

Why is it in one canister only? If I filled up all the canisters with bleach and run it would is clear it up.