Using epoxy under water with livestock

Oberizzle

Yesterday was the biggest mistake I have done since I started this hobby. I ran out of reef glue so I ran to my local petco to purchase the Fluval Sea epoxy. I have never used this brand before.

I had 5 new mini colonies I was going to put in my tank and decided to do that all at one time. The epoxy released a milky white substance which seemed to have poisoned my fish and coral. I lost the star fish this morning and my Damel seems to be recovering well.

I am afraid for my Frogspawn and Branching hammer colonies they look shriveled and seem to be dying. Any ideas on how to fix this or do I just have to let nature take its course?

Also, as I notice this happening I did a 25% water change to take out some of the milky substance in the water.

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
Ive never tried that specific brand but have used epoxy without any ill effects besides maybe making my skimmer go nuts. Id say run some carbon and maybe do another water change in a couple days. How much epoxy did you use and how big is the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday was the biggest mistake I have done since I started this hobby. I ran out of reef glue so I ran to my local petco to purchase the Fluval Sea epoxy. I have never used this brand before.

I had 5 new mini colonies I was going to put in my tank and decided to do that all at one time. The epoxy released a milky white substance which seemed to have poisoned my fish and coral. I lost the star fish this morning and my Damel seems to be recovering well.

I am afraid for my Frogspawn and Branching hammer colonies they look shriveled and seem to be dying. Any ideas on how to fix this or do I just have to let nature take its course?

Also, as I notice this happening I did a 25% water change to take out some of the milky substance in the water.
+1 on running carbon, do a big water change

Oberizzle

Good Idea! I have never used carbon in my tank before, i do have about seven pounds of lava rock in my sump though, does it work the same way?
[MENTION=7331]Titanwerx[/MENTION] I used about 1/4 of the tube.

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
Pretty sure lava rock is not the same as activated carbon nor will it perform the same in removing pollutants and toxins.

Oberizzle

Ive never tried that specific brand but have used epoxy without any ill effects besides maybe making my skimmer go nuts. Id say run some carbon and maybe do another water change in a couple days. How much epoxy did you use and how big is the tank?

Thank You!

I seems like the carbon is doing its job. I have never used Carbon before and my water even looks a slightly different color (crystal clear). I like it!

Oberizzle

Eboxy shouldn't do anything really. Mabey it's a water quality issues. Your water versus where it came from
I was kinda surprised to. Epoxy is supposed to be reef safe in small quantities. The epoxy released a milky substance that I think had some poisonous effect (it turned my damsel a purple color and he lost a piece of his back fin (he swims funny)). It for sure isn't my water because I had just tested my water a week before and it was 100%. I make my own RO and haven't had any issues. If you use epoxy I would be careful with how much you use. I lost a starfish and a yellow torch. My mushrooms were affected, but seem to be recovering and my frogspawns and hammer aswell, but they seem to be recovering also.

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
Thank You!

I seems like the carbon is doing its job. I have never used Carbon before and my water even looks a slightly different color (crystal clear). I like it!
Yea carbon is suppose to rid your water of the yellow tint, along with other stuff, just Make sure to change it out in about a month or two. I still think its odd that it would kill your fish and coral tho, Id recommend checking all other possibilities before coming to that conclusion, i.e. stray voltage, dead fish, anemone or other possible animal that could poison and foul the water, temp fluctuation. Just some examples but again Ive never used that brand but Im assuming its been tried and tested before going to market.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Read some Amazon reviews and someone else mentioned that there have been reports that too much used in the water column resulted in the same issue as you. That sucks. Sorry to hear.