Japanese Borbonius anthias

I want some for my new tank but I am seeing them listed as expert only. Does anyone have some or know what makes them expert only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about the Japanese variation, but Borbonius Anthias are collected from deep waters and if improperly collected, they can come with swim bladder issues and other things related to decompression. They're also finicky eaters and can sometimes be hard to establish. My best advice is to buy from a hobbyist that has one eating and established.

+1 to what confuse said...

In addition to being finicky eaters, they can be quite shy as well.

I purchased one in the past and threw him right in w/ all my other fish. He was too shy to come out. When it was feeding time, he'd try to sneak a bite in, but as soon as the other fish started to converge on the same bite, he'd dart right back into the rocks. He ended up dying in maybe two weeks.

About 6 months after that, I decided to give it a go w/ a new tactic. This time I bought two of them and threw them both in a new frag tank that had no other fish in it. I'm happy to say they are both alive and eating quite well. They ate right off the bat, but were still a little shy. Now, they're almost to the point where they aren't even afraid when I put my hand in the tank to muck w/ the frags.

One thing to note, I do think getting a pair is helpful because one of them didn't eat pellets at first (only mysis). The other one, however, went to town on the pellets. After seeing that one eating up all the pellets, the other one started to as well.

Definitely two of my favorite fish. Good luck!

EDIT: To clarify, I have borbonius anthias. I'm not sure what region they are from and/or if the ones I have are different than the Japanese ones you are referring to. They are pink w/ yellow spots.

Remove the Japanese part. Lol. It's the same fish from I can see. I have wanted a borbonius for a really long time but have never had a tank big enough for anthias.

+1 I think a pair would be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post a WTB thread. That's how I found mine. There's still another person out there that has one for sale. But, prepare to pay as they are pricey.

I have a pair of borbs, cool fish. Most anthias are planktovores, & its sometimes hard to get them to transition to reef food. Ime, these are easier to acclimate than the other anthias. But like the others, best to best as at least 2, better a shoal of juvis (females) like in the wild. Their price works against this. Like other anthias ive added in groups, they turn male 1 by one and kill each other.

Latest posts