Glacier water for reef tank

Does anyone else use the water from the glacier dispensers outside supermarkets for their reef tank?

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
Why not go to your lfs? Sometimes the ppm is higher then what you would want for your reef. I use to do it 10 years ago but I don't anymore.

Mainly because the glacier station is closer to my house and if i go to my Lfs I always end up buying something

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
Also it doesn't run di

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
Its better than tap, but its not rodi water. If its that big of a hassle, id look into getting a rodi unit. Look into the aquatic life one. Very compact and well priced

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
a cheap RODI unit will pay itself off real quickly after you factor buying water and transportation from LFS or the water machine. I think it's a must have for reefers.

I have aquatic buddy and booster pump so much better

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

In lieu of RO/DI water, the Glacier water is fine. It is significantly better than Tap. Though, I'd still treat it with a de-chlor like Seachem Prime.

five.five-six

2020 Philanthropist
i used the groceries store vending machine water for many years with great sucsess. A RO/DI system only yealds marginally better results IMO

BUT

You are trusting your reef tank to a machine you have no control over. Copper contamination wont hurt people and probably makes the water taste better

Plus

You own RO/DI is so much more convieniant. No more standing in the rain filling bottles.

And

It doesnt take that many quarters to pay for a RO/DI

Tricky one. I don't fully trust it since there's no DI stage, however, I have tested the vending machine water, Kirkland bottled water, and my LFS's RODI water. The LFS RODI and vending machine both had a TDS of 13, Kirkland close at 19. Who knows what the actual difference of what the TDS is between my LFS and vending machine. I often use distilled for top off, but I would use the Glasier if I couldn't make my own, or LFS was too far to make sense.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
Your lfs store is due to change ita filters a bit ago. Including membrane. Good lfs stay on top of rodi numbers, because its the same water they are additing to their tanks

Glacier water tds somewhere between 5-15 ppm depend when u get there freshly filter replace. Looks for the one that got a digital display so u can see what dates the filter was replace. I have a unit call "zero water" than i pour in it again and it come out zero ppm!

Your lfs store is due to change ita filters a bit ago. Including membrane. Good lfs stay on top of rodi numbers, because its the same water they are additing to their tanks
Are you referring to mine? I know. It's really annoying. All the years I lived in Garden Grove and got water from Broc, Robert, then Kevin, these guys all kept 0 TDS water. Here in San Clemente it's slim pickins. Only 3 places in a 30 minute radius to choose from. This shop is the only one with quality salt, and my preferred RSCP. Both stores have a couple frag tanks and that's it.

I used to use this water prior to getting an RO/DI unit and it seemed to work perfect for me. I have noticed less algae after switching to RO/DI but it is an option for short term.

Home rodi can be had for about 100 bucks.

Glacier is 35 cents a gallon in most locales

Water store is about 25 cents with variance

After 300 gallons, you've paid for the back end of the rodi unit.

Granted, you're paying by the cubic foot for water at your home which comes out to about 25 cents a gallon where i live, not to mention discharge which is about 1:5, 5 being the waste.

The only way to get as pure a product is to use distiled, and that is $1 a gallon.

You be the judge.

Latest posts