CA reactor on a timer pros/cons

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
Currently I run my calcium reactor 24/7. It is controlled by a ph controller, but I have been thinking of possibly putting it on a timer and only running it during the "day" (i put day in quotations marks, because i am still not sure if this is going to be only during lights on or for alike a 12-14 hour window). What do you guys think is the pros of running on on a timer versus the cons?

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Not sure I understand why you would want to do it in the first place. I dont know of any pros. I use a calcium reactor but I have never learned all the chemistry and biology that surely goes on. Given my limited knowledge base, might have concern about non-circulating tank water sitting in reactor for the off hours. I assume you must be trying to manipulate pH by eliminating effluent for some hours.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
Not sure I understand why you would want to do it in the first place. I dont know of any pros. I use a calcium reactor but I have never learned all the chemistry and biology that surely goes on. Given my limited knowledge base, might have concern about non-circulating tank water sitting in reactor for the off hours. I assume you must be trying to manipulate pH by eliminating effluent for some hours.
correct, that is the purpose. to help with the ph. Fancy reactors like the datstaco do it automatically with a light sensor.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Only downside i see is having to adjust your reactor, I'm guessing you'll need to increase your output during the running hours to make up for the down time. How long after lights out do coral continue to grow? Be interesting to see if you get dips after the reactor shuts off.

You plan to just shut down the solenoid with the timer, correct? So you still will have water flow through the reactor?

Do you think it would be harder to adjust (assuming you have a dual pH probe controller) if you set a low pH value for your display that would shut down the solenoid?

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
Correct, just the solenoid would turn off. Im imagining its a lot of trouble and probably wont end up doing it, but was just wondering what the pros were, if anyone knew how effective/beneficial this is.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I think you'd have to dose a more concentrated effluent when the solenoid is on to make up for the consumption while the solenoid is off therefore still driving your pH down still.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
If your corals are doing fine with the current pH, I don't see a reason to change.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
I ended up putting thre co2 on a timer, I have seen a lot more growth and a little better color. I do have a very oversized ca reactor and a 20lb tank. Also started dosing kalk into the ro

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I ended up putting thre co2 on a timer, I have seen a lot more growth and a little better color. I do have a very oversized ca reactor and a 20lb tank. Also started dosing kalk into the ro
interesting. so when do you have it on/off?