Fancy sump design - How does it work?

Hello sump experts,

I just bought this used acrylic sump and it is a bit too sophisticated for me to understand its design. Please help me understand the function of each section. Attached are the pictures of the sump.

This first picture showed the entire sump with 4 sections:
SUMP 4 sections.jpg

The 3rd section holds the skimmer and the 4th section is for the return pump I believe, but the 1st and 2nd sections are the ones that I am lost. Please help answer my questions below.

This second picture showed the first 2 sections:

sump 2 sections.jpg
In the 1st section (actually it is divided in 2 smaller sections). I will name them 1A and 1B. Section 1A is about 10 x 4 inches and has a black acrylic piece at the top with a 3 inches hole. The water from section 1A can only flow into section 1B, which has a bigger black acrylic piece at the top with a bigger hole about 8". The water from section 1B (10 x 8") would flow into section 2 of the sump through the 2 small holes about 4 inches above the bottom and through the bigger rectangular opening about 10 inches from the bottom.

The 3rd picture below showed the divider from section 2 & 3.
Sump section 2 divider.jpg

The water from section 2 would flow into section 3 through the big opening about 6" from the base as shown in the picture above.

My questions:

1. What is the function of section 1A and what is the purpose of the small hole at the top?
2. What is the function of section 1B? The purpose of the 8" hole? the purpose of the 2 small holes and the rectangular openings at the divider into the section 2.
3. What is the function of section 2? Why is the divider between section 2 & 3 has an opening just 6" above the bottom? Do I need to use a big foam pad to block things from flowing into section 3 except water?

Thank you for your explanations.

Kimha.

based on what i can see it looks like drainfrom overflow goes into hole in 1a. water fills up and flows over to 1B hole where a filter sock would go then water would go to section 2.

the other questions im no help with.

my best guess? Holes for probes? not much help here...
Thanks JR. That makes sense for me. From the refugium section to the skimmer side, do you know why the divider has an opening from 6" to 9"? It seems like anything in the refugium would flow over to the skimmer section except heavy LRs.

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
what you have here is simple...an overly complicated for no reason sump with wasted space lol...really though yes I would move the skimmer to section 2, and fuge to section 3 for most efficiency

what you have here is simple...an overly complicated for no reason sump with wasted space lol...really though yes I would move the skimmer to section 2, and fuge to section 3 for most efficiency
I concurr...overly complicated simple sump...

Latest posts