What is the Best and most Reliable ATO system?

GoBigGuy

Hi All,

Looking to get an ATO for the new 180 build and wanted to see what is the best and most reliable ATO system out there?

GoBigGuy

Here are some I was looking at:

AutoAqua Smart ATO - Automatic Top Off System
Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155
Hydor Smart Level Control ATO System
SpectraPure U.P.L.C. Ultra-Precise Level Controller II
JBJ ATO Automatic Top Off System Water Level Controller

I use hydor smart level for the past year, never a single problem. Its a sensor so no float switch. It also alarms when the water level is too high or the reservoir is empty.

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident (IEMAS)
Supporter
My Tank Build
Ive used several ATO's
Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 absolutely the best so far.
I still use a float type in my office pico, but if the water level bounces around alot from turbulence in the sump it short cycles the pump on&off. Burns out the pump, and Ive also had the float get stuck from general gunk/build up and cause a few issues.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Tagging along...... Is there a reason why people don't use float valve with apex???
Something might prevent the float valve from being activated/deactivated. I do use a float switch as my backup sensor though

Last edited:
Because we are lazy and rather just buy a plug and play lol at least that's just me lol
Just admit you are a balllllerrrrr!!!

Something might prevent the float valve from being activated/deactivated. I do use a float switch as my backup sensor though
Cool!! Do you know if the sensor can hook up to an apex breakout box?? I say this cuz I use my emergency float switch to turn off my skimmer to prevent overflow if the first float switch goes bad and water is higher in my sump. I was going to use these float valve I pick up.

newe70

2020 Philanthropist
I have recently set up an Autoaqua Smart ATO. I am very pleased with its performance. Very compact systems and the whole set up took abt a couple of minutes.