THE 28g Nano Cube PRO build begins

djorijun

Alright fellas,
So I just purchased an AIO 28g Nano Cube PRO with the LED's and wavemaker. They also threw in the JBJ skimmer for free (I need to figure this thing out).

Things I need suggestions for:

Powerhead or do I need 2?
Heater (size/model)
Controller (looking for a small version mostly for lighting timers but other cool features if they come with some)
Came with a media basket that has carbon/ceramic rings/sponges (what should I fill it with or should I leave it as is)

Since I've been out of the game for a while I can't remember what I would possibly need.

Here's the description of the tank I bought
http://www.jbjaquarium.com/aquariums/28gNanoPro.php

Here's the tank
IMG_6862.jpg

Congrats on the new tank.
One additional powerhead should be plenty. People seem to like the Hydor Koralia Nano model.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/hydor-koralia-nano-water-circulation-pump
Heater (size/model)
These new preset Aqueon heaters are great. Compact size and cheap. Put it in the water, let it sit for 30 mins before plugging it in and then never worry about it again. (still good to check once in a while of course to make sure it's working)
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/fish/fish-tank-heaters-chillers/aqueon-preset-heater-150w
Controller (looking for a small version mostly for lighting timers but other cool features if they come with some)
Last one I used was the Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper light. It's inexpensive and worked well for heater/chiller. Seems like Apex is more popular these days so may be better options out there that someone else could chime in on.
https://www.marinedepot.com/Digital_Aquatics_ReefKeeper_Lite_(Basic)_Controller_Multi_Item_Monitors_Controllers_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Digital_Aquatics-DA1131-FITEMOMI-vi.html
Came with a media basket that has carbon/ceramic rings/sponges (what should I fill it with or should I leave it as is)
For now, I'd remove the carbon pack and save it for later until after the tank is cycled and animals are there. Sponges and ceramic rings are fine though with live rock being used the ceramic rings are redundant. You may add a chemi-pure elite to it, or a bag of purigen down the line to help with additional chemical filtration. Make sure you rinse the sponges out at least once a week to keep nitrates down.

djorijun

Congrats on the new tank.
One additional powerhead should be plenty. People seem to like the Hydor Koralia Nano model.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/hydor-koralia-nano-water-circulation-pump
Heater (size/model)
These new preset Aqueon heaters are great. Compact size and cheap. Put it in the water, let it sit for 30 mins before plugging it in and then never worry about it again. (still good to check once in a while of course to make sure it's working)
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/fish/fish-tank-heaters-chillers/aqueon-preset-heater-150w
Last one I used was the Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper light. It's inexpensive and worked well for heater/chiller. Seems like Apex is more popular these days so may be better options out there that someone else could chime in on.
https://www.marinedepot.com/Digital_Aquatics_ReefKeeper_Lite_(Basic)_Controller_Multi_Item_Monitors_Controllers_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Digital_Aquatics-DA1131-FITEMOMI-vi.html
For now, I'd remove the carbon pack and save it for later until after the tank is cycled and animals are there. Sponges and ceramic rings are fine though with live rock being used the ceramic rings are redundant. You may add a chemi-pure elite to it, or a bag of purigen down the line to help with additional chemical filtration. Make sure you rinse the sponges out at least once a week to keep nitrates down.
thanks for the info

Would the Vortech powerhead be over kill? The tank comes with two returns at 1000L/H and the wavemaker. I want something that doesn't stick out in the tank and I've seen that these don't stick out much or at all.

Yes, Vortechs are very nice and unobtrusive. May be over kill but a lot of people still use them on these smaller size tanks. You could always turn it down if too much flow.

djorijun

Update
Day 1 aqua scaped and filled with water, a bit foggy but that's normal.
day 1.jpg Day1water.jpg
Also attached

Day 2 a bit clearer
Day 2.jpg

djorijun

Hey everyone,
So my tank has reached the stage where it is time to add some CUC's. I went to my LFS and got 4 Astrea snails, 2 Red legged hermits and 2 trochus snails. I wonder if that isn't enough for this 28 gallon.

What say you?

sjet

For clean up crew I don't think there's a set number. Just add clean up crew accordingly, if you think you need more then add more. If you feed a lot and notice extra food on the sand bed not being eaten then I would get more hermit crabs. If you notice excessive algae film on the glass and rocks I would get more snails.

Looking great. What kind of clowns are those and what store are they from? For your CuC you might consider adding a couple Nassarius snails. They're great for eating left over food on the bottom and keeping the sand bed stirred.

djorijun

They are the Frostbite "Frozen" Clowns. I got them from Aquarium City in Canoga Park.

I have
30 Dwarf Ceriths
13 Florida Ceriths
14 Nassarius
12 Nerites
4 Trouchus
2 Astrias
2 Red legged hermits
1 Lawnmower Blenny

Before I introduced these guys, there was the normal brown algae bloom that blew up in the entire tank. I didn't touch the algae, I just dropped these guys in and they cleaned everything. i didn't even wipe the glass or clean the sand.

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
Tanks is coming along nicely Jose. Maybe i missed it but did you start off with live rock or dead rock painted purple? Looks a bit like real reef but not sure.

djorijun

Jesse,
It's Real Reef Rock, I bought it at Vivid cause that's all they had. I was a bit hesitant at first, but it's been working out great.

Hey everyone,
So my tank has reached the stage where it is time to add some CUC's. I went to my LFS and got 4 Astrea snails, 2 Red legged hermits and 2 trochus snails. I wonder if that isn't enough for this 28 gallon.

What say you?
I would add more, but no there is no exact number. I steer clear of hermits, they are opportunistic and will kill your snails for their shells.

***Looks like you added more CUC, carry on LOL

Latest posts