Electrical safety reminder

Water and electricity don't mix so check your connections and make sure you are not leaving your reef vulnerable. This was not on gfci so I didn't find it until I smelled it.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Drip loop and on surge protectors...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
If you weren't home, it could have started a fire and worse. Glad you caught it in time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Been there, done that. Except mine was a wall outlet. The breaker failed and I had smoke, burning wire insulation, a melted outlet and d@mn near a pile of ashes where my house once stood.
This is no joke and a real concern. Make sure you have drip loops and surge protectors just as [MENTION=6904]Zoarder[/MENTION] said...

Been there, done that. Except mine was a wall outlet. The breaker failed and I had smoke, burning wire insulation, a melted outlet and d@mn near a pile of ashes where my house once stood.
This is no joke and a real concern. Make sure you have drip loops and surge protectors just as [MENTION=6904]Zoarder[/MENTION] said...
I think you guys mean GFCI units, not surge protectors.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HydroFarm...&wl13=&veh=sem

I don't mean to sound rude by saying this, but do not buy this product. It is not safe for use in wet conditions as claimed, and it has a fake Underwriters Labs safety approval, something UL complained about in a press release: http://canada.ul.com/safetyalerts/u...ed-ul-marks-on-a-power-strip-release-11pn-42/
Frankly I don't see how any power strip can be designed to be safe in wet conditions, unless it has a GFCI at the end of its power cord the way UL approved hair dryers do, and this Wet Circuits power strip definitely does NOT have built-in GFCI protection.
There is never a good reason to buy a high voltage electrical product that lacks any safety certification from a major testing organization such as UL, CSA, ETL, or TUV. Do not trust CE to be a valid safety approval because it does not require independent testing.

Latest posts