Smite's 66g cube

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
My "new to me" 66 gal SCA tank. The stand it came with was made of false wood that bubbled out due to water damage, so I've built my own stand. I also made the lighting hangers out of 1/2" EMT with eye bolts. So far I'm happy with the setup. Tanks up and cycling with Mr. Tim's. Running a Rubbermaid sump until ultimate acrylics is done with my custom sump/refugium.

Rocks just in there for cycle, haven't planned that out yet. Want a nem island for sure.
Some pics of the stand build. Sides and front are all magnetic so I can access the sump easily.

I plan for it to be a mixed reef. Mostly sps lps some nps and nems. Inferno if I can find it for the right $$

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Thanks! I'm hoping the used sand bed will feed the Dr tims so 8 don't need to cycle with a fish.

This is my first tank with a sump. I picked up 2 tlf150 reactors. What media do you guys run? I'm thinking ROWA in 1. Maybe carbon in the second?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I don't think I even need to break these guys up. I like the way it looks. I might lift then up with pvc couplings, but not sure. Probably final scape.

the crew waiting for the move to a bigger home.

cycle started. We will see if dr. Tim's speeds things up.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I picked it up used for 400. SCA gives huge discounts on will call orders. They quoted me 700 for tank stand sump return pump and skimmer when I called them up.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Cuc took care of the algae bloom. Everything seems to be doing great. Sps browned out when my tank hit 84 but look like theyll survive. A fan on the display and in sump seem to be keepingnit at a solid 79. I get to pick my sump up tonight, can't wait to get it setup!

went slightly fish crazy and picked up 4 barletts. Great looking fish and add some action to the tank.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Got my sump in. Ultimate Acrylics did a great job, exactly how I wanted it. I love having the ATO reservoir the length of the back. Only takes up 3" of area rather than a whole section and still holds about 5 gallons.

A few pics of the setup.

Loving this skimmer sump setup. Got my 2 TLF 150 reactors hooked up. One with ROWA the other GAC. I see GHA starting on some of the rocks. Probably stocked the tank a little quick.

Came up on some fathead dendros! Super stoked, ive been on the hunt for these for awhile now.

Just gotta clean up the wiring and bulid the shelf for my BM doser then its just hunting down coral. Cant wait.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Thanks!
Yeah that's a odyssea 250w combo. I love the mh but the t5s don't seem to have great output.
I've got a 14k phoenix bulb in there. I want more blues out of the t5s to mimic what my ai super blue used to do on ramp and really make the florescents pop in my corals. Any recommendations?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I've been a nano guy since I got into reef tanks so I don't have much to compare too.
With that being said the performance rocks. Blows all my HOB skimmers away. I emptied the cup after a few days and it pulled some nasty crap out the water.

Everyone says to run it in about 9.5" of water. My sump is 10" and doesn't effect performance. It does cause for annoying sounds though! The silencer disassembles for cleaning but doesnt have a gasket, this allows water to enter and causes a gurgle noise above 9.5". I'm gonna hit up HD and try to find a gasket. If your water level is below the silencer it is DEAD silent though as i found when i lifted it with pvc end caps
Produces great bubbles, decent size collection cup that easily removes with a twist and 1/2" clearance and dial in is precise.

Overall great product and seems strong for the size.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Crapola! Is this off enough to be worried about? I leveled it but I moved it back a few inches to snug against the wall before it was filled. I threw a level on the floor and it slants from the wall the same degree.

I'm regretting putting feet on this thing, might have been easier to shim it without :redface-oops-6:

Now i'm tripping on my joints in the glass. They are all even but seems to be about 1/16" of caulk between glass. Is this pulling apart or a normal gap?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I hit up Reef Raft and Tongs this weekend. I was really impressed with Reef Rafts selections in SPS. Very cool to come by a vendor that knows the common names of what he has. Very helpful crew over there.
I grabbed a rainbow anemone (stuck on the back side of a rock of course) and millepora from RR. the mille needs to color up but I can see the potential and they promised me it was a rainbow. It has great color as is, but hopefully my system can make all the colors pop.
I'm trying to figure out how people get these amazing pictures. I have trouble fighting the blue even with the MH on.

Tongs had a special on clams. I cant get the colors to show true, its acutally more of a gold color, not blue. Any I.D. as to type would be great.

Tanks is looking good! I gotta
Check out reef raft soon.

I would definitely shim out under the feet and try to get it level. I know it's a pain but you will sleep easier knowing your investment and livestock is safe.