Phyto culture

Bigpapii

are 1g container too large to culture phyto? should I go with something smaller?

that's fine
I'm using a 1 gallon jar and I have 5 of them
I think it's better to have multiple small ones than just one big one cuz if one crashes you still have the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigpapii

How long did it take the new culture to get a green tint? This is the 4th day and no color to the water.
How much of the phyto did you put in the bottle?
I bought a 8oz when I first started mine and I poured 4oz in a gallon container so it was pretty dense when I first started it. If you use less it would take a couple of days to get a green tint. I suggest leaving the light on 24 hours for he first two weeks.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Mines at 1.022
For nannochloropsis it's 1.022-1.028 I believe

Thank you. I'm almost done gathering all the supplies so hopefully I'll be able to start culturing soon. :)

How long did it take the new culture to get a green tint? This is the 4th day and no color to the water.
for me, it took until my second culture. not sure what the problem was, but 3 weeks, I ran the first culture and it never got dark. then i bumped up lighting, reflectors and aeration, and BOOM. Success.

first 3 to 5 days can seem like no progress, and the following day (varied 4 - 6) the whole bottle is dark.

i make sure to stir my cultures every single day.

i need to start teaching my kids how to do this.

Sent from my 1+3 via Tapatalk

Bigpapii

Light bulb holders are only like 2-5 bucks and you could get a 60w or so full spectrum led bulb and that should be good

Fizzman

You could out that led strip in parallel right next to each other to make a rectangle plate the size of one side of bottle and velcro it to the side, that way u can remove it when moving the bottle. The reason it looks like it's not enough light is they are 0.25w bulb and look at how far it had to travel to get through the bottle to the other side.

Fizzman

2017-01-06_18.52.46.jpg or 2017-01-06_18.52.04.jpg

I hope u can visualize what I am saying with the pictures. All on a soda can bar or plate(helps with the heat) held on by velcro. Below is my light for algae turf scrub behind my 24gal jbj nano. Different color, and used aluminum bar from window frame, with a fan but same concept and same light 5050 smd led tape.

IMG_4514.jpg IMG_8405.jpg

Your setup might be quite good, [MENTION=3725]solitude[/MENTION], as long as you paint the rest of that container white. You're losing a whole lot of potential light because the lack-of-sheen matte in that sterilite container is eating up all the reflective potential.

Get some Rustoleum Plastic in White, and give it a good spray, and you'll be set with that light setup.

Bigpapii

After 13 days I have green water! I just hope is not just regular algae.
If it's not attaching to the wall(like most common algaes that live in our tanks) then it's most likely the nannochloropsis strain you introduced into the culture :)

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Day 1. Let's see how it goes. I kept the LEDs and added a flood light. So we will see.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Assuming I did this right, how long before I should see the color of the water change?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts