Uh oh, my son dumped a whole can of new spectrum pellets in my nano tank!

So I was at work my mom was babysitting my son and he managed to dump a whole can of pellets into my tank, I already siphoned out a majority of the pellets and did a 25% water change. Tank smells like a dirty fish market, tanks cloudy and but my fish, coral and anemone seem fine so far. Any ideas/suggestions on what I can do? I have the skimmer running wet, added chemipure blue in a reactor and turned up my mp10 ok full blast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to try and get as much of it out and be prepared to do 100% water change or something close to it. Make sure you check all the chambers and any low flow areas where the food could settle.

I only have chemipure blue, is that fine? I have it running in a reactor as we speak

It would be good to have plenty of fresh makeup water, mixed salt water, Prime, and an up to date ammonia test kit. Hopefully you got most of it out already.

+1, make another large water change, add Prime. Amquel or any of the other ammonia neutralizing products and start testing for ammonia or add an ammonia alert badge to the side of the tank and closely monitor the ammonia for at least a week. Have plenty of premixed saltwater on hand. If you see any ammonia make another large water change and add more Prime.

Do the biggest water change you can. At least 50% for next two days to clear up the water. I had that happen once. Corals was shrinking and fish was hiding for couple days. I did 80% water change first day and then 50% second day. Also ran carbon and change polish floss everyday.

If the food wasn't in there very long and you siphoned it all or almost all of it out no big deal with the 25% water change and fresh carbon/chemipure you should be fine. Seeing as you said your tank is cloudy I'm going to assume it was in there for a while before it was noticed or most of it wasn't removed. In which case I'd do maybe a 20% water change every other day for maybe a week and test ammonia and nitrite to make sure levels are ok. If the levels are fine even if the tank is cloudy it will be ok. I'm no reef expert but wouldn't do 100% water change unless there was something extreme going on in the tank where say an anemone died in a nano and 24 hrs later half the tank if not more is dead and ammonia is sky high but there's still animals you can save. I'd probably just remove them and acclimate the animals into a fresh temporary set up and do close to 100% water change on the nano with no inhabitants. Doing 100% water change depending how you do it may shock inhabitants that are already weak /stressed. Everyone will probably do similar things /completely different things. Every case every tank /inhabitants are different. Which ever way you choose to go good luck hope you have minimal or even better zero casualties.

* Loveland Fish Sales * Follow Sponsor Thread On SCR * Subscribe On YouTube *

All Delight

You can actually do a much larger water change and I would. Match temp and do a 50 or even 75% water change.

Or do 50% and another 50%, then 25% and 25%. So 4 water change.

The fish/coral are more likely to die from the polluted water, than they are from a shock of clean water. Match temp, most important.

Thanks guys, I added carbon and gfo, wet skimmed and did another 20% water change. The thing that's weird is my ammonia is 0 with an Api test kit and all my fish are alive, only my anemone and pink goniopora seem affected.

I wonder if the water was cloudy from vacuuming and stirring up the sand cause it's clear now

Latest posts