Thinking of Tearing down my Current 120 Gallon Reef

One thing i didnt consider is Changing out everything and keeping my tank itself. Sell off my Live Rock, sell most of my Larger Coral and remove all my sand and gut my system. Make a new Stand that sits lower and get a new sump and redo all the plumbing. Since the tank itself is very similar to a SCA 120 Gallon style i might just keep it. Although i was looking for a 5 Foot Long 18inch Deep by 18-24 Inch Tall. I would gain a longer tank but would loose the depth of the tank from 24inch to 18inch. What i am really looking for is more a shallow lagoon style tank. Does anyone have any suggestions where i can buy a shallow lagoon style 100 to 130 Gallon tank ?

Thanks!

I have a peninsula style tank you can have I have been vinegar soaking you can have it for free. Youll just need to buff the acrylic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much ? Leaks? scratches? any issues ?
Free, no leaks but has been sitting outside for 3 weeks while I slowly work on taking the coral algae. No issue I want someone to put good use I am going to be really busy while I go to school and try to join a police department. Will not work on it further until I finish. So goes back into the community. For scratches just small ones I sanded down with 800grit and 1000 grit just havent gotten around for the 2000grit.

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
Free, no leaks but has been sitting outside for 3 weeks while I slowly work on taking the coral algae. No issue I want someone to put good use I am going to be really busy while I go to school and try to join a police department. Will not work on it further until I finish. So goes back into the community. For scratches just small ones I sanded down with 800grit and 1000 grit just havent gotten around for the 2000grit.

Wow! Im truly stunned by this gesture and will definitely put it to good use. Not to mention make a build thread from beginning to end of course thank you many times along the way! I cant thank you enough not to mention this community of reefers! By the way good luck on joining the police department!

Wow! Im truly stunned by this gesture and will definitely put it to good use. Not to mention make a build thread from beginning to end of course thank you many times along the way! I cant thank you enough not to mention this community of reefers! By the way good luck on joining the police department!
Thats awesome! Cant wait for the build thread. PM got time when you can pick up.

From my perspective your rock is all small pieces. I look for rock as big as possible anymore. A lot of people have to build their shapes to get the dimensions they seek because they have small rock and look for some special design. I just go for the natural look and like a full looking tank. With small rock and over time with coral growth the coral itself will out weigh the rock and then you see them topple over breaking. But that takes time. A long time to fill 24" of tank.
With this new, been around a while, look of no rock in the tank. Tanks look empty like you yourself are feeling. And if there is a lot of fish, or even a decent amount of fish, they need places to hide and sleep. I get a tank full of coral but there must be a base to support it. And time before its full. Sals corals are huge compared to yours and thus his tank looks great and over time will get better.
So either give your system time or decide to go smaller or different shape to make your coral look bigger or achieve that look quicker. Or make them grow faster.

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
From my perspective your rock is all small pieces. I look for rock as big as possible anymore. A lot of people have to build their shapes to get the dimensions they seek because they have small rock and look for some special design. I just go for the natural look and like a full looking tank. With small rock and over time with coral growth the coral itself will out weigh the rock and then you see them topple over breaking. But that takes time. A long time to fill 24" of tank.
With this new, been around a while, look of no rock in the tank. Tanks look empty like you yourself are feeling. And if there is a lot of fish, or even a decent amount of fish, they need places to hide and sleep. I get a tank full of coral but there must be a base to support it. And time before its full. Sals corals are huge compared to yours and thus his tank looks great and over time will get better.
So either give your system time or decide to go smaller or different shape to make your coral look bigger or achieve that look quicker. Or make them grow faster.
I appreciate your honesty. I do feel like my tank just isnt as full as i would like it. Considering i took out roughly 20 lbs of live rock out. I think you might be right especially about the smaller rocks. I think maybe going with the tank that [MENTION=8376]orbela[/MENTION] is kindly giving me to start down a new path with a longer tank i can enjoy building everything up from scratch but this time like you mention as big as rocks as i can fit and build a more fuller looking aquascape not so much the wall of rocks i had with my 75 gallon tank before and way less rocks with my 120 gallon but using the Rule of Thirds and give that a try.

I really appreciate you input and suggestion. All advice is good advice!

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks to [MENTION=8376]orbela[/MENTION] he was kind enough to give me his Acrylic Tank Pictured above. Although it took me over an hour and a half to get there it was well worth it. Thanks again [MENTION=8376]orbela[/MENTION]. As i was in the process of building a stand and preparing to start a new thread on the entire build process i noticed that the tank is actually a foot longer than what i had thought. It was not to mention my now good friend [MENTION=8376]orbela[/MENTION] said it was 60" Long which in fact is actually 72" inches long. Ouchy! what i thought was a 5 foot tank turned out to be a 6 foot tank that is 150 Gallon and not 120 Gallon. Double Ouch. I know bigger is better however it does effect the space i have to add a 5 foot tank. So i am currently in a pickle. Trade someone to hopefully get the 5 foot tank that wants to go bigger as i go smaller to a 5 foot tank.. Help me Obi-One-Kin-obi your my only hope!

Anyone out there with a 5 Foot Tank you wanna trade for a 6 foot one ?

Thanks to [MENTION=8376]orbela[/MENTION] he was kind enough to give me his Acrylic Tank Pictured above. Although it took me over an hour and a half to get there it was well worth it. Thanks again [MENTION=8376]orbela[/MENTION]. As i was in the process of building a stand and preparing to start a new thread on the entire build process i noticed that the tank is actually a foot longer than what i had thought. It was not to mention my now good friend [MENTION=8376]orbela[/MENTION] said it was 60" Long which in fact is actually 72" inches long. Ouchy! what i thought was a 5 foot tank turned out to be a 6 foot tank that is 150 Gallon and not 120 Gallon. Double Ouch. I know bigger is better however it does effect the space i have to add a 5 foot tank. So i am currently in a pickle. Trade someone to hopefully get the 5 foot tank that wants to go bigger as i go smaller to a 5 foot tank.. Help me Obi-One-Kin-obi your my only hope!

Anyone out there with a 5 Foot Tank you wanna trade for a 6 foot one ?
Oh dam I am sorry. I never measured it. Took the word from the person I got it from.

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
Oh dam I am sorry. I never measured it. Took the word from the person I got it from.

No worries [MENTION=8376]orbela[/MENTION] you have been beyond kind my friend. Ill figure something out. Nevertheless new Thread will be posted as soon as i can figure this out lol.